a question for cosleepers

i was wondering if you actually go to bed with your child(ren) or if they fall asleep on their own. please include ages. i guess i am a partial cosleeper because my son slept in his crib when he was a baby but when we moved him into the toddler bed, he began appearing in our bed. at first we took him back to his room but he figured out how to get into bed without waking anyone. that has been going on for about 2 yrs, i love to cuddle him but i also cannot go to bed when he does.

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 9:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Quote "First off, what you're talking about is bedsharing. Cosleeping is just sleeping in the same room as you. :) What I used to do is lay down with my little girl, nurse her to sleep and then leave the room when she fell asleep. Then I would go back to bed when I was tired." Autumn22

Cosleeping and bed sharing are the same thing also known as the family bed.

I coslept with my DD until she about one, but she always fell asleep in her own bed and then I would get her when she woke to BF and then she would usually sleep with me the rest of the night. She sleeps all by herself now in a big girl day bed by choice.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My son is 19 months and he goes to bed in his toddler bed but when he wakes up at about 2:00 we bring him into our bed.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• First off, what you're talking about is bedsharing. Cosleeping is just sleeping in the same room as you. :) What I used to do is lay down with my little girl, nurse her to sleep and then leave the room when she fell asleep. Then I would go back to bed when I was tired.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My son is 9 months old. I rock him to sleep and put him in his crib to sleep. At about 3 am he always wakes up, and will not go back to sleep in his own bed so he stays in bed with SO and I until morning.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• i do the same as Blainesmommy but she would probaly go back to sleep on her own but we both enjoy the extra time together plus she'll sleep longer.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 10:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My DD is 16 months old and has been sleeping in the same bed as DH and I since day one! she probably could sleep in her own bed but I prefer her sleeping with us since DH works late in the night til about 3am... and then I just feel lost if she is not sleeping right next to me!
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• We're partial co-sleepers too. I can't go to bed as early as my kids need to, and they can't stay up as late as we do since only one of them still naps. We do bedtime for them(age 2&4) at 8, then we go to bed whenever. During the night, if they wake up and come to our room, they can stay til they are comfortable going back to their room. Neither of them are nursing, but when they were, it was easier to keep them with us most of the night anyway (from about midnight or 2am until our alarm went off). Now the 4yr old only comes into our bed maybe once every few weeks, mostly weekend mornings if we try to sleep in. The 2 yr old is with us about 5 mornings a week, starting around 5 or 6am. I used to nurse them to sleep, now we rock a few minutes and then they fall asleep in their own beds. Sometimes there is a little crying or fussing, and they invent reasons not to sleep, but we stick to the routine.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Most of the time DD 15 months goes to bed by herself in out bed. DS 2.5 years goes to sleep when I do.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Our girl co-slept the first few months of her life (I usually slept then too because I was just tired), and then we switched to morning cuddles, which sometimes leads to more morning sleeping.

Honestly, if your boy falls asleep on his own, and he's not bothering anyone with getting into your bed, then I don't see the problem.

If it is disturbing your sleep, or showing signs of lack of sleep himself from it, then you just have to dedicate a few sleepless nights in a row to keep, consistently, putting him back in his bed (or in a bed in your room) until he figures it out.
    Anonymous

• when we co slept and I co slept with all three kids. They were all about 14 mos before I transitioned them to their bed. No they would not fall asleep on thier own. For the most part I had to lay with them and the youngest if I would get up she sensed it and would wake too....SIGH I love co sleeping but I don't feel I ever got very much rest! Now they all sleep in their beds!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2009