mini tantrums

my 16mo DS has been throwing little tantrums when he's told no. He screams and he'll headbutt. I tell him "quiet, we don't scream, we use a soft voice" I'm not sure what else to do. When he does a crying tantrum I ignore him until he settles down but when he headbutts.. I'm afraid he'll hurt himself and it does hurt me when he gets me just right.
What do you do when your little one throws a tantrum?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 9:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son will intentionally walk up to the wall, door, or some hard object and hit his head on it when he's having a tantrum. Then he'll either do it again or throw himself on the floor and roll around. Kind of like he's trying to put out a fire on his shirt. The reason they hit their head purposely is because they're trying to get you to react. When they hurt themselves from falling for example, you cuddle them and ask if they're okay. That's what they're looking for when they do it during a tantrum. Yes, they can hurt themselves, but it's important not to buy into their trick. By reacting in a sympathetic way you're rewarding them for their behaviour. This allows them leeway to manipulate the situation and get you to ignore the fact that they were told "No". Firmly tell them "Be careful" and walk away. Try putting him in his crib for a time out during a tantrum. He'll be less likely to hurt himself in there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009