house cleaning and pregnant

Im having trouble deciding. I just found out i am pregnant. I clean houses for extra income. Is it healthy? Even with masks and gloves? Would you still do it?
I dont want to come off lazy, because i actually like cleaning.
The cleaning is intense. Im not sure if i feel right doing it with a big belly. How healthy is it for baby? But then there's masks and gloves.

In Jan ill be starting college full time. What do you think?

aMbeR012005

Asked by aMbeR012005 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Health

• Wow... well, honestly, I think that thousands of women before you have cleaned and have all managed to survive. You do know that in older times women used to work, go in and have the baby and then go back out again, don't you... You will be just fine. Many have cleaned, vacuumed, lifted, practiced yoga, driven a truck, washed cars, carried groceries, carried groceries AND kids, driven themselves to the hospital to have the kids, worked up until the baby was born, lifted patients off gurneys and beds, changed bedpans, mopped floors and still they are ok.
    Anonymous

• I cleaned houses when I was pregnant with my daughter until I was 7 months. I didn't use masks either. And it was before I knew about natural cleaning products, so I was using a lot of chemicals. She's fine.

Now that doesn't mean that it's safe. I would switch to using natural products as much as possible. Vinegar, baking soda (but not together lol), alcohol, and a little dawn dishsoap (which even comes in a low-chemical formula). Wear gloves whenever cleaning anything really gross or using chemicals. And try not to move furnature by yourself. Otherwise, it's fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• thank you ladies :) very good advice
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yeah, I do the glove thing when using chemicals harsher then dish soap...and make sure the area is reasonably ventilated - and I understand that to be just fine.

I only clean my own house, so I'm not sure if there's anything different to keep in mind when doing it for longer hours or with professional equipment.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Offer to clean your customers' homes with your special, non-toxic cleaner (you can even charge extra):

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2009