Why is my 2 year old doing this?

my dd is 2 years old. she has started chewing the sleeves of her clothes! why is she doing this? any suggestions? how can I get her to stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you find out, please let me know!! My FIVE year old just started to do this last week!! My guess with your DD is that she is starting to cut her molars and she is teething on her shirt. I have no explanation for my son
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My mom told me I did this when I was young also. I also did it later in life as a nervous/bored tick. She may be nervous about something, or it could just be a habit. It may just feel good on her teeth to bite something soft, I know it still feels good for me. I dont know why but I have always been that way. My daughter started doing it when she was 1 1/2 so I started carrying fruit snacks everywhere and would give her a pack when I saw her chewing. It worked for a while and now I give her gum when I see her chew. It makes her completely happy so in turn we are all happy. I hated giving her gum at such a young age but I give her only sugar free gum which makes me feel a smidge better, lol. So try fruit snacks, suckers or even gum if it doesnt bother you and see if it helps her out. My daughter is now 2 and she hasnt chewed on her clothes for a while now, but the blanky....well thats another story, lol. Good luck!
    MistyBible

Answer by MistyBible at 3:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I dunno. My two 1/2 year old took off her shoes and socks and started chewing on the non skid pads on the bottom of the sock! She's chew/suck on her sleeves too. She still puts almost anything in her mouth -- rocks, sticks, stickers, fingers, etc. Some just have the oral fixation a bit longer than others. I'm trying hard now to discourage it as she's starting to get sick often again with cold season and all. And she puts such odd things in there. Silly kids.
    Anonymous

• I think it is the same thing that adults that chew on pens it is just an outlet for excess if it is excess stress or energy. I wouldnt worry about it its annoying I know but it will go away eventually.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2009