Best Pregnancy Book

i am pregnant with my first and CLUELESS! do any of you have recomendations for a book i can get to inform myself? I saw the book "What to expect when your expecting" but didnt know what else was out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your Pregnancy Week by Week and The Pregnancy Countdown are pretty good. I also have a book called Pregnancy Sucks. It is awesome. Check out second hand stores and e bay before paying full price for a preg. book. They are usually overflowing with copies of the book you are looking for at a greatly reduced price.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I HATED "what to expect when you are pregnant" I thought it wasnt very informative and was very vague. I swear by Mayo Clinic's Pregnancy & First Year book. I also like "Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy"
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Your Best Birth by Ricky Lake and Abby Epstien :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Dr.Miriam Stoppards New Pregnancy and Birth Book, very informative,as first time mom I too was clueless! But it did help me as well as the website whattoexpect.com anyway hope you find this book its awesome it has pics n everything you need to know!
    dracosmommy

Answer by dracosmommy at 10:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• With my first, I found it most useful to sign up for all the on-line pregnancy newsletters. That gave me relevant information at appropriate points in my pregnancy (most of them are weekly), and if I had any specific questions that hadn't been answered yet, there was always Google!

With my second, I didn't have an internet connection but still wanted the information. For that one, I found Your Pregnancy Week By Week to be the most helpful, as it was laid out in the same weekly format, but of course it has appendices and an index for looking up specifics. I also disliked What to Expect....
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My midwife gave me these 2 to read: Nursing your Baby by Pryor--- I'm LOVING this book. it's very scientific and emotionally supportive.

http://www.amazon.com/Nursing-Your-Baby-Karen-Pryor/dp/0671745484

Birthing from Within-- Good for women who are looking for birthing support.

http://www.amazon.com/Birthing-Within-Extra-Ordinary-Childbirth-Preparation/dp/0965987302/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261023635&sr=1-1

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• personally I go to the library and check them out a couple at a time. I have read pretty much all of them that I can get my hands on. they all have their upsides and down. your pregnancy and birth is probably my favorite. very informative and concise. Shoppard's book is great and is organized very well, also. It has a month by month section that was wonderful when I first found out I was pregnant. Now I like the your pregnancy and birth book because it has more specific information about the actual birth.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I don't know if your going to have a natural birth or hospital but Spiritual Midwifery is a great book. It has a lot of inspiring birth stories of empowering women who had home births without much intervention. It also has a lot of good general info you need to know. You may have to order it online but its worth it! I couldn't get my head out of it when I first got it.
    hillma

Answer by hillma at 1:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i don't like the negative books ... i like Shiela Kirtzinger's book, the Sears book, and my midwife just gave me the "our bodies our selves" pregnancy book and i am liking it =)

i had your pregnancy week by week with my first and now i am re-reading it and it makes me cringe! bleh! i have also heard the what to expect is equally annoying but i haven't read it.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2009