2 month old and formula

MY 2 and a half month old is drinking 4 ounces of soy formula, but i dont think its enough because she eats every 3 hours on the dot, day and night, or sometimes even two. i try to soothe her but she screams like a banshee until she has the bottle in her mouth. Would it be ok to bump her up to 6 ounces, even if its every other feeding? I feel so bad that she might still be hungry, and i'm going nuts from lack of sleep. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks ladies:)

Candice369

Asked by Candice369 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course, if you think she can eat more, give her more! Every child is different so you can't really go by other people's babies or what you read in some books. I was very laid back with my babies and let them dictate to me when they needed to get more in their bottles. Try her with more and see..trust me if it's too much she'll let you know by spitting it back up, but it won't hurt her at all. Go with your instincts mama...trust what you know is right for your little one :) My twins are 17 months old December 22nd, and it's been such a trip being a first time mom of TWO babies at the same time. I've learned a lot from them.
    Good luck!
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 10:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Well, I would move up to 5 ounces, rather than jump right up to 6. My son is 3 months old and he eats about 4-5 ounces every 3-4 hours. However, before bed he always seems hungriest, and I give him 6 ounces, and he'll sleep about 7 hours straight.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think by 2 or 3 months my daughter was drinking 5 oz every 3 hours. But like one of the other posters said, try 5 oz first.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My 3 month old eats 6 oz every 3-4 hours and he's not that big (13 lbs). She'll stop when she's full.
    wanttoadopt0707

Answer by wanttoadopt0707 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Give her what she'll eat. If she still seems hungry after finishing 4 oz, give her another ounce or two. If she doesn't, then don't.

What I would do for my son was give him his "usual", whatever that happened to be at the time, and if he wanted more, I would give it to him in 1 oz increments. When he started consistently eating more at every feeding, I would bump his "normal" up to that much. (For example: if he ate 4 oz and wanted more, I'd give him another ounce, and if he wanted even more, I'd give him another ounce, etc.; when he wanted extra every time he was fed, or at the same time every day, I'd start just making him 5 oz to begin with instead of 4 and then adding an ounce.)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I don't formula feed, but I do keep a two 2 months old in our church nursery, and both of them are taking 5 ounces right now. We have a 3 month old, too, and she takes 6 ounces. Hope that helps!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I feed my 3 month old 6 ounces every 4-6 hours. He was always real hungry and could not handle all the formula he wanted to take in so I started him on cereal in his bottle at about 6 weeks. it works real well and he sleep almost all night. I think that every baby is different and you just need to pay attention to your instincts and you will no what your baby needs.
    GOT2LOVEME

Answer by GOT2LOVEME at 11:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My 2month old eats 5oz every 3hrs on the dot as well as has "boobie snacks" between feedings. I'd say it's time to try a little more, but try just going up to 5oz not 6oz (2 & 1/2 scoops). Then if she is still hungry after feedings in a few days bump it up one more ounce. Good luck!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Eating every 3 hours is normal, I would be worried about a 3 month old going longer between feedings. It's better for them to eat smaller amounts more frequently, so I would not bump up the amount to try and get her to go longer between feedings... only offer more if she's still hungry when the bottle is empty.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• When my daughter was this age she at 6 to 8 ounces ever 2 or 3 hours. But she was a big girl (9.1 at birth). I had to start putting cereal in every bottle when she was just 2 weeks old. Other wise she would take to much liquid and spit it up. The cereal worked wonders for her and keep her full longer then straight formula. Just go by your gut instinct, It wont do you wrong! Good luck!
    MistyBible

Answer by MistyBible at 2:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2009