Would you ever get a divorce?

I know that no one ever enters a marriage expecting it to end in divorce or I hope they don't. Abuse whether it be emotional or physical is a big topic around here. Let me be very clear here, if safety is an issue I don't think you should be under the same roof as them, I think you should be in a safe place. I have recently been convicted of the fact that God will not give us more than what we can handle. He can change any heart and save any marriage that he chooses to. Our suffering has a purpose even though we may not see it. Now I understand divorces happen and I am not saying anything bad at all about that. I just want to know under what circumstances would you get a divorce or did you get a divorce.
To answer my own question, I will never divorce my husband. Plain and simple!

simplysmiles13

Asked by simplysmiles13 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• I'd divorce him if he was an awful father. If he was abusive. If he was neglectful. And maybe if he cheated on me. I'm not one to put up with a bunch of shit.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• There are a few instances in where I'd get a divorce, but I'd bet my life that they would never happen. Me and my husband will never get a divorce, I can actually say that with certainty.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I divorced my ex because he was verbally, mentally, and sexually abusive to me and all but sexually abusive to the kids. I struggled with what you said for many years, but a year before I left him, the Lord gave me the green light to leave. It was then that I began my preparations. I'm now happily remarried, and my ex has actually gotten WORSE since I divorced him. The Lord knew what He was doing. I believe He gives people chances, but they have to WANT to change. If they don't, He gives them a way of escape.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• I think sometimes people choose the wrong person, get a divorce and that is a life lesson God meant them to learn. I will not get a divorce, not that it hasn't crossed my mind but I am now financially dependent on my dh and have two kids and am reaching an age where I realize the grass isn't greener. Divorce for me would be abuse, poor parenting, emotional cheating. If it were just sex, I may over look it because it's not that important to me. Over time, things change in a person and ten years ago I might have felt differently but now I feel more practical. This sounds so morose! I actually have a great spouse and happy marriage.
    Anonymous

• I would get a divorce if he was no longer willing to work things out. What am i supposed to do, refuse to sign the papers? lol

I would get a divorce if we tried lots of different kinds of therapy and counseling and nothing seemed to help the "problem" whatever it might be.
    And i'd get a divorce if he caused great harm to any child. I love my husband dearly. And i know that if he ever seriously harmed a child it would be because he had gone insane.

...basically, we will never get divorced. : )
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Ok, this is mostly in Response to Anon 10:50! I don't think divorce is a life lesson God wants you to have! I agree that he will use that and you will grow from it but it is not something toat God means for to happen. I physical abuse, you need to be safe and out of the situation but do you still remain married? I am speaking biblically here of course. And adultry is a hard subject but the Lord can heal any marriage, we just must be willing to forgive our spouses like Christ has forgiven us. rhope4 may I ask what your green light was?
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If my husband cheated or abused our children I would divorce him.
    Anonymous

• Yes and I did. I won't be disrespected by someone who claims to love me.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• if he hits me or cheats on me im out of here and the kids are also off limits in the abuse department any form of it and he can kiss us goodbye
    tam84

Answer by tam84 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If he cheated on me, then yes I would leave. Sex is very important. Its the glue that holds a marriage together and bonds us intimately. We have a fulfilling sex life. If he violated that and was intimate with someone else, I would pack up the kids and go. If God wants to forgive him, fine by me. But I am not sticking around with someone who could bring home diseases to me that could end my life.

As a side note, I am suprised that a couple of you don't seem to value sex very much. The bible is very clear on our roles as a married couple and the intimacy we are supposed to experience. You are going against biblical marriage by not embracing the sex life God intended for you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2009