Teaching child to write his name

My 4 year old son has no interest in writing his name or even learning letters. He knows a few letters , like what his name starts with and his brother and favorite things, etc but he does not want to even try to write his name. He will write little squiggles like little tiny lines looks like a doctors signature! and thats what he says his name is, and hell write a whole sheet just like pretending to write a book or something like or a story. So, he loves drawing and writing, but what can I do to get him more interested in writing his actual name? Think there is any concern with him not wanting to write his name or learn his letters? Hes very verbal and smart and has a wild imagination.

Bran6903

Asked by Bran6903 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have him write in pudding, paint, shaving cream. Have him trace his name. Make it a game. Have him use markers, crayons, paints, etc. Start with tracing and then move on to the writing. While he is writing the letters, tell him the letter sounds. When doing the alphabet, do it out of order and do both uppercase and lowercase. When teaching him to write his name, teach him in correct format ( J o h n, NOT J O H N).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Is he in any kind of preschool program? My 4 yr old daughter's teacher has a letter of the week, and they get little worksheets where the cirls all the letter "L's" or they trace all the "g's" or something. There are always little games and projects to do dealing with the letters too, She was in the same school last year and by the end of the school year she was writing her name. It's mostly legible even.
    I think the key to getting them interested is to make it fun. Try giving him an old newspaper or magazine and having him try to copy letters or words with tracing paper, or let him finger paint letters with shaving cream on the table. You can try to make pancakes in the shape of letters in his name or make cookies or jelo jigglers in letter shapes. He'll get into it when you find the right activity for him.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• He is not in a preschool program or anything right now. He went for a little while when he had just turned 3, but we didnt re-enroll this fall , trying to save wherever we could because we're in the process of buying a house. he may return to it in the spring, we'll see. I do try to do little printouts of tracing and even just having him color letters in hisname and things like that that i can print off from home. That is a great idea from both of you about the playing in shaving cream and creative ways to make the letters. Thanks ladies
    Bran6903

Answer by Bran6903 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• First, it's important to understand that writing letters, let alone name or other specific words, is still considered a primary course component of many kindergarten programs. I'd not worry that your 4 yr old isn't doing it. I was in my daughter's K class yesterday - let me assure you that there are many in there that still don't write their own names legibly. They're better today than they were on the 1st day.

Second, focus on developing the fine motor control and hand-eye coordination needed for writing. Writing is about physical development in combination with cognitive milestones. Give him things like legos, beads to sort and manipulate, etc. Praise his efforts to mirror the process of writing. To you it's a squiggle line. To him he's echoing an important life skill. It's a good first step. Label his art work for him. Ask him to dictate a story to you and sit with you as you write it out. He'll get there.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2009