kitten is a wierd-o

I have a kitten who is about 5 months old. She is adorable but does a really odd thing. When she kneeds (front paws back and forth to get comfy at bed time) she also suckles. It is to the point where my blankets are starting to get saturated all over the place. It is really gross. anyone have experience with this or know how to stop it? thank you.

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 10:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Pets

• A lot of cats suckle, regardless of when they were weaned or how. Its a comfort thing, much like a child sucking their thumb.

It's not something you can easily make them stop doing ... but you can try giving her her own little blanket or stuffed animal. Sleep with it a few nights so it has your scent on it and than offer her that when you catch her using your blankets.

And, lol, be glad it isn't your ear lobe :-) I had one that did that off and on for almost 18 years. Imagine waking up to that!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• Did the mother abandon her?
    Anonymous

• Now that is odd. I had a kitten who teethed and chewed holes in my sheets and through my bra straps (a 50 dollar one at that!)
    Anonymous

• The kneading is pretty typical when cats are content. The suckling is most often a result of being weaned too early. This is very common in cats that are in this situation and she may continue to do this for the rest of her life.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 11:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• My cat is 2 years old and still does this. She also has an overeating disorder. We got her from the Humane Society and she was malnourished and mistreated as a kitten. Where did you get her from? If she's from a breeder I would really have their cattery investigated.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 12:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Its a common problem with cats. Likely has nothing to do with how old she was when she was weaned.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Very normal I have had a couple cats that have done that. They seem to need comfort and it helps them relax. iwould just keep a couple cat blankets around for thecat to suck on and try to get the cat to go to them and not others.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2009