If you were parent of the girl who wrote the texts, how would you have handled the situation?

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20091214/NEWS01/912140342/Court-says-cyber-bullies-still-have-freedom-of-speech

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 10:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I would ground her, take away ALL access to phone, computer, etc. She would go to school, and come home. I might try to find a soup kitchen or something like that and make her volunteer there for about 6 months or so. I would also "strongly encourage" her to write an apology to the girl that she bullied.

I don't understand the judges ruling. The girl did what she did, but that's OK, because she has free speech? I thought there was this big movement to stop bullying. And whatever happened to manners, to courtesy, to respect? This girl has none, and if she were mine, she would definitely be learning what they are, and she would get some.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Make her remove the video, and replace it with one of her apologizing.

Also make her text all her friends with an apology, and of course go to the offended girl with an apology.

Also tell her to suck up the punishment the school gave her, and probably take away her phone for a while. Libel and slander is a real, punishable crime in the grown-up world - it's time to learn that now.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• cyber bullying is a bunch of BS. If you care that much then don't listen and whatever happens and its NOT true get over it. The school has absolutely no authority to suspend the girl and the parents should have been contacted before the school took action. Schools are a poor excuse for parenting and need to back up and let the parents parent. Free speech is being squashed every day by people who want cyber bullying rights passed. SUCK IT UP! Seriously. I was a teenage girl too and I made it in the cyber community.

I would have taken her phone, computer, any technological device away from her. I would have dropped and picked her up from school in my pajamas and made a big loud scene in front of all her friends for a week!!
    kittymommy

Answer by kittymommy at 11:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• some kids have killed themselves over cyberbullying. something should be done
    Anonymous

• I don't think cyber bulling is bs. We are in a very technological time period. The net is everywhere. Maybe the school tried to contact the parents. If is obvious the parents are indulging their child if they paid money to a lawyer so she could sue. Which is CRAP. It sends a message that mommy and daddy will fix all her mistakes with their money.

If that was my child, she would have a room with a bed, a desk and her clothes for a good long time. The ONLY thing she would be seeing is those 4 walls.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 11:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Take away her phone forever. I don't see WHY kids need cell phones. Or ifthey have one, don't sign up for Internet or for texting functions. Just a phone to use for emergencies is all teens need. It is horrible that kids are being bullies and so mean and cold. If it were MY daughter, she would NOT have even had a phone to text with.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• If that was my child, she would have a room with a bed, a desk and her clothes for a good long time. The ONLY thing she would be seeing is those 4 walls.

THIS.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Why are kids so hateful these days? Last week a 15y.o. young man in my area, hung himself because of bullying... :(
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• She would have to make an apology to the girl and to her class for being ignorant. She would lose all privileges and begin picking up garbage at local parks. You wanna act like a delinquent... well then community service. The offended girl should have sued for slander.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• The offended girl should have sued for slander.

wow, Crissy, we actually agree on something.

I wonder, too, how harassment law would apply here. yes, the other girl isn't officially in a position of authority over the slandered girl (although anyone who's attended public jr. high or high school can see that she was, socially speaking) but she clearly and intentionally created a hostile educational environment for the other girl.

I'm no fan of limiting free speech, but she wasn't merely speaking her opinion, she was waging a campaign of humiliation. 

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:12 AM on Dec. 17, 2009