do you or dont you?

i have a question...

i have always vaccinated my kids and so has everyone i know...

i know there are alot of families that chose not to vaccinate, my question is why? i know sounds like a very easy question, but its just something i have never understood. if you can keep your kids from getting sick, why wouldnt you?

im not judging anyone i am just curious about other moms reason for vaccinating or not...

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The studies linking vaccines to autism have been dis proven. There is NO link. The mercury levels in vaccines are not there anymore, they were when we were kids, but not for our children.

Yes, we vaccinate our son. I absolutely would want to prevent some of the awful, life threatening diseases that vaccines prevent. Also, what I don't understand is the parents who don't vaccinate, I don't want my children around them. If they do get infected, there is nothing to protect the rest of our kids!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2009

• There is a lot of speculation out there about the link between vaccinations and autism. It was thought at one time that the mercury in vaccinations which is in a form used as a preservative caused autism in children. As a result, vaccinations are no longer made with this preservative. Interestingly enough, the numbers of vaccinated kids is declining, but the numbers with autism are increasing. They've essentially disproved the suggestion of vaccinations causing autism, but there is still a lot of bad press and paranoid parents.
    Anonymous

• Bc a baby can be fine one day and dead the day after a vaccination the same is true of a virus too though so you're possibly screwed by fate either way
    tam84

Answer by tam84 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It is not black or white – vax or don’t vax.
    Many people read the same information and have differing conclusions. Our conclusions were that the preservatives are toxic and the interaction between the vaccines can be dangerous; we also feel that teeny bodies can handle only so much intrusion at a time.
    We choose to selectively vaccinate on a delayed schedule. The first vax was after our daughter turned one. We never did more than one vax per office visist. We had the office order single dose, preservative free vaccines; we concluded that the additives to the vaccines and the interactions between the vaccines posed the greatest danger. We skipped flu, chicken pox, and a couple of others. We always read the insert before allowing the shot to be given.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Because people don't have an accurate understanding immunologyor how vaccines work. There is no doubt scientifically that vaccines work - that they are effective and relatively harmless. I say relatively because there is a risk to everything that we do - and there's a chance a child will have a reaction. There's also a chance that you'll be in a car crash when you're driving with kids in the car and they'll be injured. People worry about "toxins" in the vaccines - but the "toxins" are found everywhere - in the air we breath, the water we drink, the food we eat (even in breast milk). The body is designed to handle such things. If a child couldn't handle the toxins in vaccines, they'll be in even bigger problems in the "real" world. Basically it comes down to poor risk assement - which as a whole we humans are not too great at anyway. Misinformation on the internet feeds this.
    Anonymous

• Some of us selectvelly vaccinate, whe took the time to educate ourselfs on the diseases, the risks of the diseases and the risks of the vaccines. Some come to the conclusion not to vaccinate at all while others do want some of the vaccines etc..
    Personally we selectivelly vaccinate, most vaccines are not worth it it my opinion, why pump a child full of chemicals against a disease that is low risk and in some cases a disease that a young child wont even come into contact with.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:29 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• The preservative that is linked to autism is still legal in the US. It's called thimerosal. It is illegal in the EU.

Info on MMR vax: http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Scientific-Link-to-Autism-Identified-61602-1/

Info on mercury levels in vaxes: http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/08/business/fi-vaccine8

My mom put me on a reduced vax schedule and I was hospitalized after my second vax. She stopped. Our family does selective vaxing in older children 16+. I did get shots for Hep and meningitis when away at school and abroad.

Also, vaccines are not 100%. Most illnesses are easily treatable and RARE.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• in response to the 1st ANON-- the study in the link above proves a link btwn vaccines and autism. It is a very new study from this November.

The science published in that article describes glutamate and glycine levels linked with autism. Various patent applications over the last 2 decades have shown that drug makers suspected that these neurotransmitters play a key role in autism. Now it's proven.

There is a great deal of real research out there if you dig. Real medical people, not just whining hippies. University and laboratory studies. I have tons of links if you are interested.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:14 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• ctbtghe abd ecodani the reason that the risk from the diseases are currently low is because most people vaccinate. if more people choose not to vaccinate then it increases the chances of a disease entering a community, causing problems and increasing the risks. vaccines are a preventative thing. you're kids are safe if most families around you choose to continue to vaccinate for the diseases.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• just wanted to point out that the mmr vaccine does not contain any mercury and never had - it can't because thimerosol is a perservative and if it was used in the mmr it would make it useless. the scientific evidence overwhelming indicates that there is no link between the mmr and autism. your article does not reference any actual scientific studies. and again mercury and other "toxins" in vaccines can be handled by our bodies - many of these so-called 'toxins' are naturally found in our bodies and something our bodies need in order to function.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2009