Do you think kids today are soft and spoiled compared to when you were younger?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• BTW, I'm not saying that I had it "so rough" growing up. I'm just saying that my grandmother took a firm hand with me and didn't put up with any nonsense like so many parents do today. I'm not saying that she didn't love me or that I had a terrible childhood. I actually had it pretty good, I didn't get whatever I wanted, but I accepted that when she said we couldn't get something because we didn't have the money. Now I'm a grown-up, I'm grateful that she did things like that and the way she raised me. I'm well-mannered, show respect to others, believe in working for what you've got, and I'm not a spoiled brat, like so many other people I know or have seen.
    Now, we talk like adults (though not about anything inappropriate) and I really can respect her. I can see how she was right in doing things the way she did and I plan to raise my children the same way.
    HaydensMom178

Answer by HaydensMom178 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• yes i do.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• No. I do however think they're more coddled and overprotected, taught the world is a big bad place, unless its online.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yes...or the majority of them at least.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• YES!!! Children today are too coddled and spoiled. There are too many kids that think they are entitled to whatever they want without having to do anything for it. There are too many kids who don't know how to clean their rooms, wash a dish or sweep the floor because mommy does it for them. There are too many kids that have no sense of responsibility or respect for teachers and other elders because their parents think their children are perfect and don't let teachers do their jobs. I would have NEVER gotten away with what some kids do now. I am so glad that I raised my son to be respectful and responsible. His teachers LOVE me because of those facts. I let them teach and discipline him--afterall,they are there and I am not.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You betcha! I'm 29, so age is definitely going to play a factor in this discussion which is why I'm mentioning it. I was spanked, didn't get any toys or gifts unless it was my b-day. Once I got to high school, I had to pay for all of my clothes and entertainment expenses. I had chores around the house that were split up between my siblings and they rotated throughout the week among us. We were only allowed to watch TV for a limited amount of time. Kids these days are raised by the TV, don't expend energy running and playing outside, and parents are accused of torturing kids if they spank them. There are people I have worked with in "the real world" that are immature, have no work ethic, and expect everything to be handed to them, and they are 5-10 years younger than I am. I can't imagine what today's kids are going to be like when they grow up and join society and the work force.
    Anonymous

• I always love this question. Every generation says that about the ones after. aww we had life so rough compared to them. Suck it up, trust me when I say we didn't. Our parents were saying the same thing about us and their parents were saying it about them.
    Anonymous

• I'm 33 and I totally agree. If you don't agree, have a look at the changing faces of the criminals in our society these days. Nobody wants to work hard and get a job...it's so much easier to be a thief, a fraud, a gambler, a drug dealer....

There were 4 girls in the bullpen at my work last week when I arrived for dayshift...when I first saw them I thought "prostitutes" for sure. THEY WERE 19 YEARS OLD! They'd been arrested with a bunch of older drug dealers. DID I SAY THEY WERE 19?? I helped with their releases and couldn't believe the attitudes on these kids. I wanted to throw up on their thigh-high boots. I think %99 of the blame lies with the parents in cases of kids who are lazy or spoiled...and it's really sad.

Sorry I went a bit off topic but...same idea..I think...lol
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 11:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

********

Bingo!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Yes, I absolutely do! I was raised by my grandmother (I'm 22) and I can't believe the things kids today get away with! I never threw a tantrum in a store because I didn't get something I wanted-I would have gotten spanked. I didn't dare talk back to anyone, if I did, I would have gotten spanked. I always answered with Yes sir and Yes ma'am. I always said please and thank you. I didn't get a lot of spankings because I knew what manners were and as long as I followed the rules, I was good. That was how I was raised, and I turned out well. Today, it's not PC to actually discipline your child or not give them whatever they want. I never ever talked back to any adult and respected my elders. When I was growing up, there wasn't all the crap there is today in parenting-people actually parented their kids (or at least, my grandma did). She didn't try to be friends with me-she took care of me. I respect her for that.
    HaydensMom178

Answer by HaydensMom178 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2009