How old was your daughter when you pierced her ears?

I am due in March with my first daughter. I was thinking of getting her ears pierced before she turned 3 months, so that when she gets her 3 month pics she will be all cute. But then I was thinking back to the days when I would nurse her brothers and I remember that sometime when they were done their little ear print would be left on my arm, so if they had ear rings in that would probably hurt? So what is a good age? I want to get it done before she is old enough to know what is going on.

Adelle

Asked by Adelle at 11:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter got it done for her 12th birthday.
    Anonymous

• 2 yrs old, 2 yrs old, 1 yr old
    Anonymous

• lol i was 6 months when my mom got my ears pierced
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 11:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• have not yet and they are 20mos and 5. if my 5 yr asked I would take her. She will be cute with or without ear rings.
    Anonymous

• I will never understand the concept of "I want to get it done before she is old enough to know what is going on." So you are looking to inflict harm on your child but want to make sure the baby can't communicate how much it truly hurts so you don't feel bad? Wait until your child is old enough to choose on her own if she would like to put holes in her body. Teach her from the moment she enters this world that her body is her temple and should be respected by everyone, even mom. By waiting until she is ready you will be giving her so much. She will have a great day to remember forever. She will be given control over a decision during a time when one is not given much control over decisions. She will be given a new set of responsibilities (taking care of her ears). There is every reason to wait and only one reason to do it now, because you want to do it.  Just a few things to think about before finalizing your decision.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I agree with the last answer. There is absolutely no logical reason to get a baby's ears pierced. Get it done when SHE wants it done, when she is older. You wouldn't tattoo your baby, would you? Tattoos are permanent. Well, ear piercings are permanent too! Especially when they are done incorrectly with a piercing gun. Piercings should be done by a reputable piercer with sterile, hollow point needles.. and such a person would never pierce anyone under 16 even with parental permission. Having some random, minimally-trained employee at a Claire's or other cutesy little store pierce her ears with a reusable (NONSTERILE) piercing gun will inflict a great deal more blunt trauma than a piercing with the proper needle would and WILL leave scar tissue, not to mention the holes will likely be crooked.

Despite any other reasoning.. why would you have someone rip holes in your daughter's ears, just so that *you* can think she looks cute?
    lalimalina

Answer by lalimalina at 12:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Hmm... And this just hit me.

You're planning on intentionally creating puncture wounds on your baby girl, and you're wondering whether or not to do it because the earrings might hurt YOU?
    lalimalina

Answer by lalimalina at 12:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• 5 months... those last two ladies need to relax a little... jeez
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 12:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• damn dont listen to those crazy ladies Adelle, i tried to get annikkas done when she was 2 yrs old and she freaked the hell out. so i waited until she was 4 yrs old and asked her and she said she wanted them done so we did.
    sadowns

Answer by sadowns at 12:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• "You're planning on intentionally creating puncture wounds on your baby girl, and you're wondering whether or not to do it because the earrings might hurt YOU?"

NO KIDDING. This question kinda' makes me sick. IMO earrings on babies look trashy anyway. Why do you think your baby needs earrings?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2009