eating her veggies...

ok i have a question about how to get my daughter to eat her veggies...

let me give a little backgroud, my daughter is seven and weighs about 90lbs....

well her weight is obviously higher then it should be and we have been working with her doctor and a behavior specialist trying to get her to get on a better diet and get her to learn to make good eating choices.

well here is my/her problem...

i cannot get her to eat her vegetables, i mean she will just flat out refuse, and she is obviously to old to force feed and why i ask her why she wont eat them she says ''i dont like them'' or ''i hate them all''....

well she has gotten really good at finding them if i try to ''hide'' them in things and i have tried alot of different types broccoli, carrots, califlower, green beans, peas, corn, and i have tried freah,frozen, canned...

she doesnt like any of them...so anyone have any ideas? anyone else gone through this?

MamaSusieQ045

Asked by MamaSusieQ045 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Soups, stews and sauces are great dishes for incorporating vegetables. Here are a couple of recipes; send me a message offlist if you would like more:
    I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).
    Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• What if you make like ants on a log celery with peanut butter and raisins? Or put cheese on them? My brother is 17 and I dont think hes ever eaten a vegetable in his life besides potato's. My one year old is pretty much that same he really isn't into veggies but I keep trying.
    SJust11

Answer by SJust11 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Dont let her have anything else untill they are gone. It has worked OK with my 3yr old...I know its a little different with him being so young. I put them on his plate and if he wants more of anything or a desert I wont let him have it till he eats them. Sometimes I wont let him leave the table till they are gone, especially if it is one I know he usually likes.
    duganhorse

Answer by duganhorse at 11:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• You can also try this website for some ideas to sneak veggies in to the diet. http://www.thesneakychef.com/
    duganhorse

Answer by duganhorse at 11:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• Blend them up in the blender and add them to "regular" foods. I have heard of "cauliflower" mac and cheese - you make homemade mac and cheese and mix the smushed up (cooked) cauliflower in the cheese sauce You cook carrots, smush them up, and then mix it in with spaghetti sauce. I'm sure there's a million different ideas out there.

Tomato  and vegetable soup

Veggies with dips?

How about those potato chips made from sweet potatoes and other veggies ( http://www.terrachips.com/products/terra-sweet-potato.php )

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• yea what her doctor told us to do is to give her the vegetables that she is supposed to eat first. and if she doesnt eat them then dont give her anything else for dinner, well there is only one problem with that, she has just decided that she isnt going to eat them and she just doesnt eat any of whatever else we are having for dinner. when we started her going to the 'weight' classes her sugar was borderline high and her cholesterol was 198, well they just did her blood work last week and her cholesterol was down to 166, which her doctor was happy about but as we both know it isnt coming down for a good reason, its coming down because she is eating less, granted its by her choice but still...i mean this fight about her eating her vegetables and making healthy choices is really starting to upset me, i mean shit i cant even get my daughter to eat her stupid vegetables...its just getting really frustrating..
    *continued*
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• *continued*
    we have been taking her to the weight behavior specialist for about seven months and nothing was changing, so when we went to the doctor last week(the weight classes and behavior specialist are in the same office, actually the behavior specialist is the daughter of the doctor) well when we wentin the doctor said that she had been reading over the notes from our weekly visits with the specialist, she said that she would really like for Nikki (my daughter) to start going to see a counselor because she thinks that her not eating her veggies and putting up somuch a fight isnt so much about the veggies but about a control issue. she said she has never seen a kid quite as stubborn as Nikki is...great that doesnt make me feelany better, i just dont knoe where i went wrong, i mean we have always had veggies, and her brother loves them so dont know why she is putting up such a fight.. it makes me really sad..
    *continued*
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• *continued*

i mean what would make her want to have this power struggle, as the doctor called it...

i guess i just feel kind of shitty about the whole situation i mean i want her to be healthy and not develop alot of health problems from not eating properly...

has anyone else had to have a power struggle with a seven year old? i mean is counseling a good idea? i mean right now its vegetables what am i going to do when she is a teenager? oh man...
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Get her involved in the process. Pick up a kids cookbook from the library, like Pretend Soup. There is also a funs kids cooking website: http://www.spatulatta.com/

Take her to the grocery store and let her pick out a new vegetable to introduce to the family.

Kids love to dip! Offer her cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.

Make her a smoothie: frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, kale (lots of iron and calcium), orange juice or kiwi or another vitamin C source

The whole family should be eating the same meals so she does not feel ostracized.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.