Black community wants to improve headcount and say "We want what is ours"?

Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, the NAACP, and others are urging the government to improve the count of African-Americans in next year's high-stakes census. Sharpton says " We want what is ours" .

They are looking to find "the hard-to-count blacks, many of whom are distrustful of government workers".

They also want "to see a change in how the government tallies prisoners, so they are counted as residents of the cities in which they previously lived, not in the places where a prison is located."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091217/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_census_blacks

What are your thoughts?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 11:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• ummm, I don't think I can say what I REALLY think about Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and keep my account here.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• It is merely selfish, power-hungry, feared, dominant groups pulling the race card out.

Why should the government run out, spend money, and TRACK down people who do not want to 'participate'? I registered to vote when I was 18. If everyone registers to vote, what is the problem? If elected officials are based on density of registered Americans, then the proof is in the pudding.

What is the underlying GREED for POWER about with chasing down black people and getting census info about ONLY them?

Anonymous

• I agree with 29again. I will add that they both profit from the misery of people they claim to defend, and they should be ashamed of themselves.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• 29again, I totally agree with you .
    WhoCares224

Answer by WhoCares224 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2009

• "I will add that they both profit from the misery of people they claim to defend, and they should be ashamed of themselves. "

PeTA is to animals as Al Sharpton is to black people

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well, bless their hearts, isn't that sweet, at least these areas want to claim their criminals! There must be some kind of funding that these areas are missing out on, so I guess if they claim their crooks, then they can get some cash, wooo hooo!

"About $23 million, or roughly 17 percent of the $133 million allocated for media buys, is currently earmarked for black communities to promote the census."

$133 million for media buys, advertisement!!!  WTH? Good heavens, this is outrageous, why don't they spend that money on PEOPLE, instead of freakin' marketing???

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Funniest part about this is it is a LOSE-LOSE situation!!!

If they DO track all black people down in the urban areas, where they are "hard-to-count" and make them fill out a census, it'll screw up their assistance per household. Meaning, if a mom is claiming 5 kids, but really has 3 adults living together, she will not get as much money from the government. NO WONDER WHY they don't like government employees!!! hahahaha

If they CANNOT track these people down for the census (see above example) Al Sharpton and his crooked cronies will just lose all that money - actually WE the PEOPLE will too!!!

waste of time, money and resources.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• banging head into wall

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Sharpton says " We want what is ours"

WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT MEAN????

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• All I can say is when whites become the minority in this country..estimated to happen between 2042-2055, I will be the first one screaming for MY affirmative action plan and all the other benefits and looopholes available to thjose in the 'minority' now. How can I say that. Me and my neighbor work at the same place, raising the same kids, paying the same bills..she qualifies for food stamps and I don't I was TOLD to my face.. she falls under a 'minority equalization program"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2009