How do you feel about the word "penis" being used around a toddler?

I have no problem with my 2 year old learning the word penis, it's a part of his body just like his knees , head, eyes and ears. I don't see anything wrong with it, my mom seems to disagree. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• my dd grew up knowing what the name of her genitals are
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My son is two and he knows that he has a penis. I don't understand why that would be a problem at all, it is what it is.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Max knows its a penis and refers to it as such, but he thinks its funny when my husband calls it twig and berries. If I ever hear him say that, it will be the end of hubby's nickname Max's stuff.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My son knew he had a penis, my mil told my husband he had a dinky. omg I laughed for hours, a dinky? it made me think of the slinky commercial, I would def call it a penis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• believe me, when he's 48 and calling it a penis, it'll sound much better than my dh, who still refers to his as a 'peepee'. ...yeah.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My son knows he has a Penis, but the rest are peanuts! LOL

He said,"But Mom, when I was younger my one doctor, she called them One potato, two potato". I said," Well, I call them peanuts" I guess as he gets older they grow to be WALNUTS! LOL

When my nephew was a kid, my sister called it a DINKY! Imagine to her horror when this item was advertized on TV and sold in the grocery stores!!

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/cereal/c_123.jpg   He thought they sold baby penis's in the box!

I think there is nothing wrong with kids calling them by their proper names, like penis and vagina.

Imagine the shock when they later in life they'll hear the slang words for them! Like C*ck and Pu**y.

Penis does not seem so bad of a word, does it?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It's the correct term for it so what's the problem?
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I've always heard that its best to teach children the proper names of their genitalia in case the worst happens and they have to testify in court against someone. Scary thought, but it's made me teach mine to say penis rather than something else.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• All three of my boys have penis's and have used that term right from the start. Now as they've gotten a little older they start with slang like dink, wiener, twig and berries, frank and beans, well you get the picture. But my 3 yo still refers to it as his penis. I'd rather he say something about his penis than his pocket grenade.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It's the proper name for his private parts. What's the big deal?
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 1:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2009