Running after pregnancy...any advice?

I was training for my first marathon when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, Evelyn. Now, I am 39 weeks and have spent the last two months not running due to calf and knee pain. I am still active in using my yoga ball and walking frequently but I would still like some advice about getting back into the swing of things post-pregnancy. Transitional exercises, cross training, nutrition (I am a semi-vegetarian, fish is the only meat product I eat but I do eat dairy and eggs). Thanks :)

reddforsyth

Asked by reddforsyth at 1:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I agre with the PP. Ask your doctor after delivery. I asked mine if I could start running ASAP and I honestly don't think she was listening to my question when she said "yes". I tried running again 1 week after baby and ended up seriously pulling some ligaments. It was not fun! Anyway, I'd say, discuss it with your doctor, but assuming you have a normal delivery, I'm sure you can start walking ASAP, and the running will fall back into place within a month or two. Best of luck to you, and come join the running moms group here on cafemom! http://www.cafemom.com/group/runster
    runner-mom

Answer by runner-mom at 9:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• This is a question better answered by your OB AFTER delivery. There's no telling until you have the baby and depending on the method of delivery or complications or how you feel after, not to mention what kind of time you'll have after the baby's born. BF or nursing? Assuming all goes well, uncomplicated vaginal delivery... you're still gonna feel like you've been trampled by elephants for a while. (I've had 4, uncomplicated vaginal deliveries.) Newborns take a lot of time.
    dibzz

Answer by dibzz at 1:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2009