NURSERIES IN PRISON?

I've never heard about this until i watched tlc's i'm pregnant and.. what are your thoughts? do you think the baby should have to stay there like that?do you think the mother should even have the right to keep and take care of her child after breaking the law? also think about the environment

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 1:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know. The baby being there may be motivation to help her reform herself for the sake of her child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• A prison is NO PLACE for a child!! There is no reason for it. There are thousands, if not millions, of people wiling to foster/adopt newborns. At least let the baby get a good start in life!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Those programs have insane success rates. The parents are forced to bond with their babies under supervision and are taught parenting classes and techniques. It's based on the idea that responsibility for someone other than yourself can change a person. They're kept in a separate part of the prison. I think it would be a ridiculous rights violation that mothers absolutely have no rights to their children simply because they are in prison.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• *banging my head in the wall*

I can't even think about this topic and type at the same time....ugh...what a way to start a life....
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 5:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I agree with asaffell. We all deserve a second chance. Plus, there is no way of knowing what brought a woman to prison in the first place.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 8:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I believe these programs are only available to women who will be getting out in a short period of time, like less than a year. I think its a good idea if it works.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i hope they are only available to those that will get out soon. if it's more than a couple of years i would def rip that kid away from that momma! and i would also say it depends on what they are in there for. obviously not abusing or neglecting children!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Its for nonviolent offenders, with short term sentences who would be giving birth during their time served, and getting out within a relatively short time. Plus they aren't in cells, they are in rooms that look like an actual nursery. And there are a bunch of other criteria they have to pass as well...

And I think with the people they actually ALLOW it to happen for, its a good idea.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I know one thing the quickest way to get a mother to clean up her life is through her kids. As wendy46121 said it is for non-violent offenders, probably first timers, and those who are likely to succeed at rehabilitation.

I also know the foster system is horrid. We constantly hear of the abuses. It's overburdened with children so I don't know where these thousands of homes you seem to know about, anon11:18, but they aren't here in CA.

OP don't fall for the sensationalism of the story. Remember they want viewers so they make stories sound more exciting than they are. Hear the whole thing out then think it through.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• thanks for your answers ive just never heard of this.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 2:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009