Super bad diaper rash from fruit juice....ANY REMEDIES?

My 16 month old son has had terrible rashes due to strawberries in food before, but now we gave him grape juice and he has the worst rash ever on his bottom. I feel so bad for him because I know it burns the heck out of him anytime he pees or has a bm. Does anyone have any home remedies that might help alleviate the pain or heal the rash? We have been trying powder, petrolium jelly, and desitin, (not all at the same time) and I just hate to see my poor little man in pain!

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try giving him benedryl. Sounds like an allergy. Consult an allergist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Thanks, I hadn't thought about that!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Grapes are considered acidic....try giving him a bath in baking soda and warm water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• maybe this can help if you have anything around the house?!? http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/natural-remedies-for-diaper-rash/
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 2:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Stummegirl, Thank you. That site has some great ideas too. I plan to try a couple of those and see if we can help my poor little guy. Hope it works.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Hope it works too! rashes are NO FUN! poor baby!
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 3:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• coconut oil

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• The best thing I've ever found for diaper rash is Bag Balm. It's in a green tin with a cow on it...Sold in most large grocery stores and drug stores. I can't remember where stores put it on their shelves but its not in the baby products aisle....can't figure that one out as it will clear up a diaper rash almost over night. Since fruit juice is the cause, you might want to water it down a bit until you can figure out which type of juice is the culprit. (the tin is kinda large but I've noticed it also now comes in a small, diaper bag size tin)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My daughter has really sensitive skin and literally everything we tried on her made her skin burn. The only thing that didn't sting and actually healed her skin was extra virgin olive oil. We have a big thing of organic oil and put little bits of it on her skin after every change. It's also a lot cheaper than the expensive cream we had been using. I hope your little one feels better soon!
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 9:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• When this happened to my son i took him to the doctor. The doctor gave us yeast infection medicine. Zachery had to eat Yogurt everyday, along with absolutely NOTHING acidic. I didn't even know that grape juice could do this until I gave it to him. The doctor said what happened was that the acid burned his butt. Zachery has extremely sensitive skin. so maybe try the yogurt and go get an over the counter yeast infection cream, that's what we did. It took about 3 days to totally clear up
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2009