Have you used Gentian Violet for thrush on your nipples?

How bad was your thrush and how quickly did it work? My DD isn't showing any signs, thank God, but my nipples are very bad. I've been using vingar washes and Lotrimin, but I hate using the Lotrimin cause I can't nurse her with it on. Also, I hear the GV treats her, even if she isn't showing signs of it, and It's safe to nurse with it on, right? I just desperately need some encouragement here, cause It's been over a week and I'm afraid I'll lose my milk supply cause I've had to decrease feedings! Also, is it ok to use the GV if your skin is broken/raw?

PS, I haven't been to the Dr yet, but I did call and they said to try the OTC stuff first, and if it didn't work, then to make an appt...

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 3:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Health

• I never used that stuff but just be aware IT STAINS EEEEEVERYTHING IT TOUCHES....it will ruin any clothes you get it on. My DD had awful thrush when she was very little and we went to the health food store and got acidophilus (sp?) to put in her formula. You could take that too it works great for adult women with yeast issues. It's not expensive either. If you have a good health food store nearby go talk to someone there who knows what their doing and they can tell you how much to take and what form is best.

sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 4:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My dd had thrush for months due to her quack doctor. Doc prescribed her Nystatin and we went through 3 bottles of it even though midway through I asked the doctor about Genetian Violet. She said no just keep using what I prescribed. I seeked a second opinion because Nystatin was doing nothing (as is the case with a large percentage of thrush cases) and the new doctor applied Genetian Violet in the room without me even asking about it. I went and bought a bottle from Walgreens (at the pharmacist desk) and it knocked it out in 2 weeks.
    Don't be afraid of the staining. It does work and staining is minor compared to losing your bm. I'm not sure on applying while raw but I bet your pharmacist can tell you.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You can also try a probiotic powder: before nursing, sprinkle on your nipples (it is safe for Baby); after nursing, rub breastmilk on your nipples, let them completely air dry, and sprinkle on more powder.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2009