breastmilk question? supply..

ok soo i feel like a bad for not pumping that often. i prolly pump two times a day .. and all i get is 1 oz .. its been like this for a week .. is it gonna go away ? i really dont want it too im a first time mom and i dont know much and im afriad to ask question most of the time .. but if i pump more often will it come back? i really need help im sick of giving him formula and it cant be too good for his tummy going back nd forth like that .. soo please help me .. i need advise to get my suplly going more :( ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had to pump for twins when my little ones were born early and in the NICU. And I can tell you the more you pump, the more your supply comes in. You have to be consistent with it. Pump every 3 hours, even if you have to set an alarm to wake yourself up in the night to do it. After a few days you'll see your supply will increase. Don't wait either because once it goes, it's really hard to get back. How old is your baby?

Make sure you are eating properly - not eating has an awful effect on a nursing mommy's body and can make your supply dry up fast. Try to get sleep too, although I know that's a dumb thing to say to a mother with a baby lol. Try not to stress...that doesn't help either.

Stick with it. And if it's meant to be, your supply will be enough for your little one. If not, well then formula is fine too. Get the baby on there of course instead of pumping when you can. Good luck.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 4:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I tried pumping and it never worked out. I just breast fed and I produced all they needed. If I had to be away from them they had formula. They didn't really like it, but it kept them going. My sister breast fed both of hers and worked too. She breast fed when she was with them and they had formula when she was a work. They are both healthy, big men now. Just nurse your son and don't worry about pumping. t doesn't work for everyone. The baby will bring your supply up much faster than a pump will anyway.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• but he wont latch on :( he crys alot even if hes starving he wont... its soooooooo frustrating ! hes 2 months btw :) thanks for the help girls! maybe any advice on latching?lol ive tryed at least every month or couple times a week to see if he was smarter to latch but no luck :( very frustrating:( tear tear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If your hospital has a breastfeeding clinic, get an appointment as soon as you can. I used the one at the hospital where I gave birth (it was covered..didn't have to pay) and went a bunch of times to learn the whole latching bit. Your son may just be a baby who doesn't want the breast...apparently some are like that. But the gals that work at these clinics are real pros...the one I dealt with could latch my daughter in the RIGHT way in a heartbeat...it was unreal lol. Look into it...the hospital should have one or see if there are any clinics near where you live. They are tons of help.

Man I remember..it's not easy for some women...it wasn't for me...but perseverance paid off and I managed to breastfeed my daughter at least for a little while. My son on the other hand refused to cooperate...he wouldn't even try to latch on and would fall asleep...lol...he got the bottle. It got him by :)
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 5:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Contact local hospitals and make an appointment with a lactaction consultant, or call the one who taught the breastfeeding class you took. You can also look for a local chapter of La Lache League.

Here are some tips for getting your supply up:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I agree---ifyou really want to do this, see a lactation consultant. I think he has gotten completely into the habit of being bottle fed, which personally I don't think is a terrible thing, but if you want to breastfeed.....you better get some help. He is already two months old!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• See a lactation consultant and if you feel your supply is low, don't use bottles use a supplementer (where a tube is attached to your breast and you "feed" him formula through that but your breasts are still getting the stimulation they need to produce more breastmilk, plus he will be getting whatever breastmilk you are producing). Babies are MUCH more efficient at getting the milk out than a pump. A lactation consultant should be able to work with you on getting him to latch. Call your local hospital or La Leche League.

Answer by missanc at 8:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• im currently not at home im in my hometown for a while ... ive already tryed all that but he jsut wont latch .. he was born at a army hospital ..soo idk if they do that or not .. id rathe bottle feed him cuz its much more convient and i would rather not do it in public .... im shy like that.
    Anonymous