What type of careers/jobs are out there that pay pretty good?

I work an over night shift in a factory and have been there for over 6yrs. I only stay for the good pay but the attimisfear, hours and many other things are starting to drain me. Friends, family & even my kids have said to me that they don't see me smile or seem happy any more. I gave up furthering my career because of my ex husband didn't want me to better myself. I would like to now go back to school maybe take some online classes but for what. What career/jobs out there is there a demand for and has a pretty good pay and benefits. How do I go with making this decision

iashanon

Asked by iashanon at 4:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in

• Any thing in the medical field pays pretty well with benefits, not to mention job security. Down the road you also end up with options as far as moving around and filling diff. positions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I really don't recommend choosing a career based on what pays best and has good benefits. You're supposed to choose a career that interests you. Remember, careers are usually long term, so if you don't like what you do, you'll just end up feeling stuck at something you don't enjoy again.

Perhaps you should look into career testing - I'm sure you can find stuff online that will test you then tell you what careers might work for you in relation to how you answering the test questions. Having a career you enjoy that makes you feel rewarded is the way to go if you can. You'll feel fulfilled in a way I can't explain. Good luck.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 5:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yeah I agree with the above. It sounds like you've been somewhere unhappily with good pay for a long time. Don't look to do the same thing just because you can have a degree in it. Did you ever have a career dream? Do you ever think a certain line of work would be nice? Are their subjects you love learning about? Now is the time to figure out what you would enjoy...THEN look up the salary on Occupational Handbook. Career Testing is a good idea too. They aren't 100% "this is what you are meant to do with your life" but it can be a great guideline and lead you in the right direction. I hope you find something that makes you smile.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• There is a great book that you can pick up at your local library called What Color is Your Parachute. It can help you find your career path.

When you choose a school, stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I'm curious now..what is a "for profit" school? I don't think I've heard of those....
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 9:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Never choose a career based on pay. It wont work out. You will be unhappy and may end up losing the job.
    Im a teacher and even though my pay could be better, I honestly love going to work in the morning. I dont miss a day and it shows in my work how much I love my job.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Well you have to choose a career based on a few things....

First what interest you. Make a list so you can see it then loook at the amt of time these careers take as well as the pay. You really have to weigh all three together. No don't just choose something for the pay BUT yes that effects what you choose!

Community college is the best place to go. They are cheap, give a quality education and are not for profit.

I am in a Medical Radiography program so yeah I love the medical field but always have! For a 2 yr degree the pay is pretty good right out of school. I was a CNA since age 19...GOOD LUCK!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2009