Do you use Green Products for cleaning and laundry?

I started buying Greenworks. It is more expensive but works really well and doesn't have that nasty chemical smell to it. I've been really happy with it. Wondering what other green products people are using.

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 7:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

I use Earth Friendly ecos for laundry

Answer by rkoloms at 11:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I just started using the Green Works all purpose cleaner for my counters and surfaces and I really like it too. It leaves a nice streak free shine. The only thing I've had problems with so far is my fridge - it leaves that streaky for some reason (it's a black finish, not even SS).

I also use Eco+ Palmolive for my dishwasher and it works pretty well so far. I buy it at Target and it isn't really more expensive than other brands.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It's very very rare that I use chemicals at all. When I do, I do use the "greener" ones. Generally I stick to a magic eraser and water!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I use Mrs Meyers(LOVE the smell of this stuff) and Seventh Generation and some Method products I stopped using harsh chemicals to clean my home when I was pregnant with my DS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You betcha.Good job on the change. All those toxic chemicals make your body toxic and studies have shown that mothers who are prego give birth to babies with the same toxins in their bodies...according to a book I am currently reading. YIKES! Not so sure I trust products that have been sitting on a shelf either. www.saferisbetter.com/Mommieshome
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Ahh I see you were fooled too!!! I switched to the Greenworks for the same reason then did my research. Now I make my own all nat cleaner for pennies. Greenworks is owned by Clorox & are guilty of "greenwashing"-pretending to be all nat while continuing to use chemicals. These companies & those that regulate them don't have to tell you ALL of what's in their products. Just because they threw some lemon juice or whatever in w/ the mix doesn't make it any less chemically for your fam. Some great green living groups here that have tons of recipies for just bout every household use you can think of. & no, your house doesn't have to smell like vinegar!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If you want to avoid the toxic chemicals and save yourself some money, skip buying your cleaners premade from the store and start making your own for much less. It isn't hard to do and doesn't have to be complicated, either. Just a 50/50 mix of white vinegar & water is enough to clean most surfaces & the vinegar smell dissipates quickly soon after it dries. If you want to aad some extra disinfectant power to the mix, squeeze in the juice from a lemon or a few drops of tea tree oil, which will also happen to make your cleaner smell a little nicer, too. If you need something abrasive, yet gentle on surfaces, try making a paste of baking soda & white vinegar or baking soda & water. If you need something a little more potent than baking soda, try borax, which is available in the laundry aisle of most grocery stores & walmarts. You can even use baking soda or borax in your laundry to brighten the whites & colors.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• We use either seventh generation or just water and a rag. I know, I know, some people think it's gross that I don't always use some kind of 'cleaner' to clean, but honestly water works just fine for most jobs in our house. I'll also use tea tree oil with water or thyme oil too.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 9:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• P.s. The thing I like about seventh generation is that they disclose ALL of their ingredients.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 9:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I used to work as a marketing director for a "green" cleaning company called EcoDiscoveries. CROOKS! DO NOT buy their products.

Clorox is a scam-- full of petrochemical dyes and fragrances.
    Method is a scam-- contains SLS, petrochemical dyes and fragrances, petrochemical wipes, all made in china and mexico.
    The SC Johnson "green" line is a horrible lie.
    "Green Seal" Certified products are full of toxic crap too.

7th Gen is essentially peroxide and water. You can make it yourself.

Most of the big players in this industry are CROOKS. They hide their ingredients list.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2009