Did you have the Integrated AFP testing done in your 1st trimester?

This is the test for detecting Downs Syndrome early on. From what my Dr told me...its really not accurate. there are 2 blood draws. He said if both come back with negative results then you are in the clear but if you get 2 positives or a negative and a positive then there is chance of having a baby with downs syndrome. But the chance is just a small percentage? It sounds like yet another thing to stress me out and make me worry like crazy. My cousin had this done and her first draw came up positive, the Dr had her so scared, then asked her if she wanted to abort? She said she would take anything god wanted to give her and kept the baby who turned out to be perfect! Then a friend of my other cousin had the same thing happen...she got 2 positives, and basically had herself totally prepped for a baby with downs, she delivered a perfect baby as well.....so whats the point of this exactly? To make moms to be crazy?

DisneyBride13

Asked by DisneyBride13 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, for me it was so I could prepare myself in case I DO have a child with Down's or trisomy 18. I had it with my 4th child and got 2 negatives. I am scheduled to have it with this one in 2 weeks. If it comes up as a possibility they can do further testing to confirm their suspicions with a more accurate test. I would never abort my child, but I do need to know as early as possible. My oldest has autism, so he would need as much preparation as possible. And my middle two (8 and 9) would need to be educated on the possible special need as well, so they would know how to handle it.

Answer by missanc at 9:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• That test is not reliable at all, i don't even understand why its still being offered. It doesn't really give a positive or a negative, it gives you the chance of your baby having downs or something like trisomy 13 or 18.
    I never did those kinds of tests at all, it wouldn't change my mind anyway and only adds stress
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• yeah i had my triple come back positive (they did it too late, but went ahead with it to charge my GOOD insurance). i got a level two ultrasound and they said the baby was fine, he was! it would be hard to trust those things.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i decided not to get it. i know some like to have a doctor lined up if they are at-risk but for me it's just extra stress if you get a positive because it still doesn't tell you for sure.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I didn't. I figured if the test was positive (which the midwife said it is not accurate and often gives false positives) then I wouldn't do the amnio anyway and it would just cause me unnecessary worry.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I did. It's not accurate and can only assess risk (ie you have a 1 in 250 risk or whatever that number comes out to). My results came back "positive" with my second child...meaning that my risk was higher than it should be for my age category. I had a level 2 U/S at that point and there were no obvious markers for DS or any other chromosomal problem so I decided against amnio (which is the only thing that will 100% tell you if your baby has chromosomal problem). Later in the pregnancy during subsequent ultrasounds they told me that he had some "soft" markers for DS...short femurs and short humerous bones and IUGR. The U/S was inaccurate on all of that. My son was born fine. 9 out of 9 on his apgar.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 10:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• The rate of false positive on this test is ridiculously high. I refuse to get it because I won't get the amniocentesis, which is the next line of testing, and it wouldn't change the outcome of my pregnancy.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Actually the Integrated AFP test should have included an NT u/s in between the blood draws.

I did have it because I wanted to be prepared for my child possibly having a birth defect and not been shocked in the delivery room. My intent was not to abort if I would have found out that he had something wrong with him. I cant say what I would have done if the results came back positive but I am pretty certain that I still would have chosen to give my child life
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Is this what they are testing for when they draw my blood at 11 weeks? I thought it was used with my sono to determine spinal bifida.
    Anonymous

• Thanks guys! Fantastic feedback! I am by nature an extreme worry wart. I will accept whatever God gives us. I am not going to do the test, why worry myself. Maybe if it ran in my immediate family so I could "prep" myself but I just don't see the need. I saw what it did to my cousin, she was devastated and went through hell for no reason at all. I can see why some decide to do the test , but the way I worry ... it would not be healthy for either one of us.
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2009