You guys understand about these things...

So you know how when you're pregnant you go through that phase where you just feel unattractive and you're at that point where your normal clothes don't fit, maternity clothes don't fit yet and you can't justify going out and getting bigger clothes for a couple months worth of wear? Well I just feel so out of self esteem and I really want a pick-me-up. I was thinking about getting my hair permed again because I loved it when I got it done two years ago. But is it safe to get a perm while pregnant? I just need something to boost my confidence again and to make me feel pretty. My S/O adores me so it's not him that makes me feel unattractive. It's the bloating and the not fitting into clothes and the lack of energy. I just want to feel good about myself again. What do you guys think? Is this ok or am I being ridiculous?

LMWWilliams25

Asked by LMWWilliams25 at 8:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would say no as there are chemicals involved. Get yourself some hot rollers....maybe even a manicure. They have special massages for pregnant woman, maybe give that a try....I know when Im feeling down, a massage always lifts me up and makes me feel like a goddess!

You are worth it! And your certainly not alone! I have been living in Yoga pants and my hubby t's lol!
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• HANG IN THERE MAMMA!!!! I feel the same way & my dd's 7 mo. Nope on the perm, you can't do anything where the chemicals touch your scalp-no hairdying either!!! Find something baby friendly you can do, oh got it!!!! Go & get a massage, just make sure they know you're preggo. its bout the same cost & will make you feel fantastic!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• No studies have shown that the chemicals from the perm would get to the baby so i would say that your fine but if your super conservitive and worry about it to much get the hot rollers. You could always call the salon and ask their opinion but i say you should be just fine. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• That's kind of a bummer about the perm but I guess I will have to find something else. Just changing your hair changes the way you feel inside somehow. I really wanted something to give me a boost. When I'm not at work I am constantly in my sweats because they aren't tight on my belly and I can eat in them and not feel like I'll blow a zipper. Thanks for your answers though guys, I will have to resort to something else!
    LMWWilliams25

Answer by LMWWilliams25 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I'd say go to the salon anyway and just have them style it. what you can do to cheat is go get a new dress. That way, you have something that fits your belly, will fit your belly when it's bigger, and will fit your belly when there's not a watermelon in it anymore. ;) At that stage in my pregnancy I really only wore skirt and dresses. go to the mall or something and get your make-up done and I totally second the massage.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 9:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well I have to say I am still in my first trimester and am already wearing materniy Jeans..lol All my Jeans don't fit they were skin tight to begin with I was afraid with them being REALLY tight around my belly that it wasn't good. So I say go for the maternity Jeans.. At least you will be comfy! Why not your preggers, you should be comfy..And I agree about getting your hair done, maybe new hair cut and a style might help you out! gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You can get a Bella Band at Target in their maternity clothes section and wear it with your pre-baby pants unbuttoned or with maternity pants to keep them up. After I stopped using it to keep my pants on, I would slather on Bella Bee Tummy Honey on my stomach after showering and then used the Bella Band to cover my stomach so the cream didn't ruin my shirts. I got one stretch mark and it's on my side near my panty line, so it's hardly noticeable at all. My mom got stretch marks and I have stretch marks on my hips and butt from before pregnancy, so I do think it helped. I know you didn't ask about stretch marks, but thought I'd throw it in here anyway.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• you will be fine my hair dresser and many others say that in the old day you couldnt but now they make them alot different i dyed my hair while preg and my hari dresser got a perm while she was preg. just make sure if the fumes get to strong to walk outisde aslo know that when you are preg your hair might not take to some thing right i know this time im 9 weeks preg and we died my hair it turned black ( the botle said med. brown lol) good luck
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• klinemom2-That's what I was thinking. Like 20 years ago No to perms or dyes but they aren't made the same now. The chemicals aren't what they used to be. I've done some research and alot of it gives specific references as to what brands are safer than others but I have yet to find anything discouraging against it. I think I will confirm with my OB to be sure but I think I'm going to go for it. I don't wear makeup unless it's a big event (which is very rare in my rural life) and my SO gives me massages quite frequently and I just want something that I can have done to give my confidence and self esteem a boost. Thanks ladies for all your help!
    LMWWilliams25

Answer by LMWWilliams25 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2009