What would you have done?

Well it has been awhile now but I babysat this little boy and girl and for some reason the mother would pay me when she could which was ok if we had made arrangements like that but then she started to bring her older kid to me and said she would pay me soon but never did by then those kids were driving me up the wall and I couldn't help wonder when she was going to pay me (I don't feel like I have to mention it I mean she knows she owes me) One day my dh is his little moods told me to just tell her flat out "No more babysitting" and I was fed up too so I did of course she was upset and said well ok I get paid this week I will come by and pay you. And that was that....Never heard from her again now her kids are grown and go to the same school my kids do and I see her once in awhile she just looks the other way or I'll say hello from a distance and so does she but u can tell she not comfortable. I wish it not end that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i woulda quit babysitting too. its not fair to you babysitting for her, with the understanding you are getting paid, but then her not pay you. i'm all for helping people out once in a while, but thats ridiculous.
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I used to do in-home daycare and I always had my families pay me in advance for this very reason. For some reason, people seem to think that in-home daycare providers can afford to wait to be paid last, if at all; It's like they don't think we are a real business or something. Personally, unless she was paying you regularly, I wouldn't have continued to watch the kids and I most certainly wouldn't have taken on another one without her being caught up on her payments, but that's me. At this point, it is all said and done and, from what I gather from your post, years have gone by. If you want to maintain your relationship with this other mom, then go up to her and tell her to forget about it, all is forgiven, let's move on with life. She feels embarrassed & guilty and is not going to make the first move, so it is up to you, as the wronged party, to make the first move and let her know all is forgiven, if you feel that it is.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I would have to agree with mom2aspclboy. She knows that she was supposed to pay you for babysitting. If she didn't want to, she shouldn't have asked you to do it. I think you could have told her no pay, no babysitting in a nice way and went on about your business. And since it's been years, as you have said, I would go up to her and talk to her about everything. You can say that you didn't meant to hurt her feelings but babysitting for me is a business and you must pay on time. I'm pretty sure she would understand now. Exchange some "I'm sorrys" and become friends, if that's what you and the other mom want. Sometimes it might wasn't meant to be if it doesn't work out.
    Anonymous