How to avoid 2yr old jealousy with a new baby!

How can you include a 2yr old in helping with a new baby so he wont feel left out and get jealous? I'm due any day now, and I have a 2yr old who always has the attention, I am affraid that after this baby is born he will feel left out and jealous of the new baby. But I dont want that to happen. I want to find a way to include him in taking care of his little brother even though there is not much that he can do. Does any one have any ideas on how to keep him from getting to jealous? Any tips will help!!

Ad3n_M0mmy01

Asked by Ad3n_M0mmy01 at 9:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well first of all it's normal. To keep the peace make sure the older child gets a special mommy&me or daddy& me day. Where the parent takes himto the zoo or something else like that. Also besure to include the older childin care for his new sibling. He can bring you diapers or a blanket or choose what baby should wear for the day. Things like that. It's kind of hectic at first,but you get used to the routine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• sorry for the typos apparently I can't type today.LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• involve him as much as possible. ask him to do things for you/baby brother. something like-help mommy make bottle for him. make special time for him, maybe while baby is napping. i would have gotten him a baby doll and taught him to be "easy & nice" with baby. maybe you could still do that, even though you're so close. you could let him pick out what baby wears for the day. or let him pick out a special stuffed animal to give baby for when he is born. good luck :)
    lilianasmom1116

Answer by lilianasmom1116 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• First, congrats on the pending birth! Now, the good stuff - you're off on the right track. Understand that SOME degree of jealousy is going to be there no matter what you do. You can help temper it though by involving him. Before my DD was born, my then 2 year old son got to help us pick out the paint colors for her room. We narrowed it down to a few paint chips we'd be happy with and let him pick from those. I took him shopping one afternoon and asked him if he'd like to pick out a special present for the baby just from him. 5 1/2 years later that green bear he picked out is still one of her favorites. : ) I picked out a special toy I knew DS would adore. I wrapped it and tucked it in my hospital bag. When he came to visit DD and I, I gave him the present and said, "Megan has a gift for you. She is very excited that you're her big brother and wanted to do something special for you." He loved that toy. :) (cont in next post)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• We kept a stash of small wrapped gifts. If someone sent a baby gift and only a baby gift, I pulled a toy out of my stash for Logan - he never felt ignored. I included him in baby care. He helped burp her. He got the wipes, the diapers and the "butt cream." He sang to her when she was fussy. When Meg napped, we played whatever it was he wanted to play. When she nursed, we played games like I Spy and "Hot/Cold" which allowed me to sit while he ran around like a crazy kid. :) When we could, an adult devoted one-on-one time to DS - lunch out, a movie, park, etc. while another grown-up watched the baby. DH and I took turns with this so he got attention from both. Today my kids are 7 and 5. There are days they fight like crazy. However, MOST of the time they are best friends. They adore each other and they take good care of each other. You're about to give your son a great gift.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My kids never really had a problem with the jealousy thing. You can read to him while you nurse, spend time with him when baby naps, let him get things for you (a diaper, washcloth, wipes, etc). Make sure you get him a new toy or two that he can play with quietly and alone, but don't bring it out until after the baby is home and you need him to be captivated by it. Also, a stash of Dollar Store toys are invaluable for times when you need a quick minute too.

Answer by missanc at 12:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2009