Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it legal when parents have joint custody to replace the NCP with the step parent on school and medical records?

Hi, I live in San Antonio, Texas. My ex and I have joint custody with equal access to all of my son's records. The only one difference in our decree is that my ex chooses where my son lives. However when I was going over my son's school records I noticed that my ex is listed as the dad and his wife is listed as the mom. I'm also suppossed to be listed as an emergency contact and they replaced me with someone else. The teacher has no idea who I am since she has the mind set that my son's mom is the step mom and every time I would ask my ex for my childs pedetrician name he would not give me the information, so I assume I was replaced too. I've talked to my ex about it and he says hell look into it but hasn't in a month. Also, every time I call him the new wife says to talk to her, that the decree is not good since theyre married now, that she is the primary parent now. What steps should I take to stop this injustice?

Answer Question

Asked by Lexxy633 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • You go to the school and show them you are the parent. You do the change DO NOT WAIT FOR HIM TO DO THE RIGHT THING, you are the Mother not his new wife. And she is not the primary parent at all. (she has nothing to do with this)
    You can take him to court over this, he needs to be told you are the mother and you should be in your son's records. He sound like a real ass so may want to go back to court.
    good luck

    Answer by gammie at 10:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

  • More than likely it is the step-mom that is filling out those school forms and your ex doesn't really know much about it or even want to, so it is up to you to go to the school and provide administration with a copy of your custody agreement showing that you and the ex have shared custody and that you are the other primary parent with full rights, etc. to your son's records and that you should be listed on the school emergency form as the mother because you are. As for setting the new wife to rights, you could start by informing her that her marriage to your ex-husband does in no way effect your court-ordered custody agreement for your & your ex's child, therefore she had better stop trying to undermine your authority, provide you with the information you request or you're going to take the ex back to court for contempt.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

  • anon 7:19 said what i was going to say...

    Answer by Soniam301 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

  • My husband and his ex have joint custody, and she is the primary custodial parent. She fills out all of ss's paper work for school, but she always lists hubby as the father. Both her husband, and I are also listed as guardians and emergency contacts, so all four of his parents have access to school records, and are able to pick him up when necessary. It is wrong of them to leave you off his paper work, and it needs to be corrected asap! If they are unwilling to fix it, and you are unable, than do take them back to court. His marriage has no effect on your court papers.

    Answer by my2.5boys at 3:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.