what Do I do to stop the mother -in law, from telling other family members my business or her complaints about me she has?

I need to stop this quick. before I do something I might regret.later.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 10:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• Tell her.

"It's not good for the kids to hear gossip about me or you our our relationship."
    "Please stop the gossip. It's upsetting the family and serves no positive purpose."
    "For Christmas, I'd like you to stop griping about me behind my back."

You don't have to sugar coat it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• it's simple really. stop telling her your business.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• simply it isnt her business, and ur hubby needs to step in it isnt your place to tell her that
    babygirl8302006

Answer by babygirl8302006 at 10:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• She has a right to her opinion and voicing it is protected by the Constitution. So, sorry. If she is lying then that's another issue. You can tell family to verify what she says with you to make sure it's accurate. Otherwise, there isn't much you can do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My EX mother in law STILL talks crap about me, & I'm not even married to her son anymore. I really don't give a rats ass because she is a moron & hangs out with morons. So, i really don't care what any of them think of me. They can think I'm a prostitute fro all i care. I know in my heart that i am a good person & so does god, my DH, my child, my friends & the rest of my family. That is all that matters.

It can be hard though, especially if she is talking to people you have to see & deal with. I would talk to her & ask her if she minds not talking about you when you are not there. It may be hard to do, but it would really help. It will let her know that you are aware she is saying stuff about you. Be the better person, don't do anything stupid or childins (it can be easy when you're angry). Tell her your opinion in a nice way & hope that she can comply.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Do not talk to your MIL about anything that she can gossip about.

You call them complaint, I call them her opinions.

Answer by louise2 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Just remember that, if she talks about you that way, she probably talks about other people that way too - and that means that those she talks to probably have her figured out by now, and aren't likely to take her seriously. Its the same with my MIL - she tells lies about me to my SIL and DH's friends. But once we all talked and discovered that she was lying to ALL of us about everyone else, we stopped taking ANYTHING she said seriously. So now, when she talks bad about me or anyone else, she's just making herSELF look like a moron. That's the best thing ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I would censor anything I told her and have a talk with DH to do the same, is he griping about you to her? I would tell her that it is very hurtful that she says not nice things about you and even if she doesn't like you, you are the mother of her grandchildren and deserve the respect that brings! I am just curious to what complaints she has about you? Anything valid? She is the one who looks stupid,,,,but stop telling her ANYTHING you want to keep private, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• There is not much you can do to stop her from talking to others about you/your business. The best way to handle it is to 'filter' what you tell her-- don't tell her anything personal - or anything that you don't want passed around. Keep conversations superficial, don't go into very much detail. If it really bothers you then tell your husband and ask him to speak to his mom (ideally it should come from him). If he can't /won't then you will have to say something to her about it and ask her to please stop. Do not be surprised though if she keeps 'gossiping'. Does she do this to everyone? If so that is just how she is and there is no stopping/changing it!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yeah, just don't tell her your business. Family members (through marriage, blood, or whatever) are not automatically privy to my business. Trust has to be earned with me, period. That may sound harsh to some, because "it's family" but, when you've dealt with family you can't trust, you understand.

Also, aside from being family people who constantly gossip like that usually can't stop, they either love the drama they may stir up, or they just have so little going on the only way they can feel good is to get the attention of people from telling someone elses business.

Just don't feed the fire.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2009