My child is going to be for next week and she does not know how to count to 10!

what can I do? I helped her and she seems not to get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try some flashcards- you can get the from the dollar store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Count everything you do. If you give her Cheerios, count them. If you're reading a book, count the flowers or whatever is in the pictures. Take her hand and count her fingers and then yours. She'll get it. Just keep doing it, it will sink in.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• First, you should focus on your education- Engrish Clash anyone?

not trying to be mean, but seriously, work on your spelling- in another 4 years it is going to be really, really important to her that YOU can help her check her work.

just count things as you go. you have 1 nose, 2 eyes, etc. etc. etc. how many bites can we take? how many shes are in the closet? and so on, and so forth...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• OP: So I needed tips on helping my child how to count NOT for you guys to be focused on me. What did I spell wrong? beside making a mistake instead of putting 4 I said for?

---your family is screwed--- Don't talk about my family if you don't know us. I wish you the best =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It's four, not for

But I agree with the cheerios thing, its fun and educational, count and eat :) Good Luck!
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It's all about consistancy. It does have a lot to do with you as well as her. Don't eliminate yourself from the situation, because you are the one teaching her how to do these things. Turn it into a game and toss her blocks into a basket. Have her count each one as she throws them into the basket. Get out a piece of paper and have her draw a certain number of things on the paper, then have her count them out. You can also point things out as you're going through the store, down the street, etc. Ask her to tell you how many cars there are, how many windows are on the house, how many dogs are in the yard, etc. Just keep repeating the numbers over and over again with her, asking her to tell you how many there are. Memorization is pretty much all learning is. To memorize what you are looking at, doing, and understanding is the key to learning. Once she's memorized it she's on her way to doing it on her own.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Just counting and repeating numbers can get very boring to some kids. My suggestion is to liven it up a little. I made up different little tunes for everything. I taught my son how to count to 20 pretty early by singing it instead of saying it. I taught him our phone number and our address the same way. If you make it fun and do it often she will learn.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If she is in preschool or daycare talk to the teachers. Some children learn slower then others. Ask your doctor what they think. I agree with everyone else..count everything! Good luck she will get it.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 1:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• yes, count all the time. Count coins, count fingers, count candy. Sing counting songs, they songs are easier for kids to remember. Rent some sesame street videos.

Flash cards work too.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Oh come on people.

M AND M Math. Cheerios are for wussies. :) Get out the m and ms. Put them on a cookie sheet or tray so they don't roll away.

RULES: Measure out 1/4 cup of m and ms.

NO EATING UNTIL LESSON IS OVER.
    Separate them all into colors

Count each color

Record how many of each color on graph paper.

Ask the questions...
    Which colors have more?
    Which colors have equal amounts?
    Which colors have less?
    Make shapes with your m and ms.

Use your imagination!!

http://score.kings.k12.ca.us/lessons/mandm/mmws3.html

http://atozteacherstuff.com/pdf.htm?m&mschart.pdf
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2009