Do you think that how the International community views the US has any importance ? Spin off - Gitmo

There were a couple of recent Gitmo posts which got me thinking, The replies seemed all to be geared to the question of whether or not to close it was linked to internal affairs issues.

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/345293/GITMO_Am_I_just_mistaken_or

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/345739/If_you_had_to_choose_between_following_the_rules_and_saving_American_lives_which_would_you_choose

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/345876/Does_changing_Gitmos_Address_change_terrorists_motives

No-one seemed interested in its effect on the international communities views of the US. Which got me wondering .

When you think about politics do you think about it in a global context, or an internal context, or a combination of the two. ?

And how importantly do you think it is for the US to have respect in the International sense ?

The question is not specific to War , I'm talking about in general, including trade

zanzeebeel

Asked by zanzeebeel at 10:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well seeing as this question seems to have trailed hopelessly off topic , and its obvious I'm not going to get the "quality ", (LOL) of answers I was looking for I might as well close it to quit the tit for tat comments.

I wont choose a best answer , cos i wasnt looking for s specific response, nor was I looking to judge others opinions, i was just interested in your input. For those of you who attempted to answer the question, rather than turn it into an off topic exchange , you all get the best answer nod of approval. - thank-you
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 5:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• ok it keeps chopping the final bit ----
    I'm not talking specifically about war, but trade, enviromental, human rights, etc.

For me it if you read the posts, I of the opinion that the standing of the US in the international community is of importance. I would have thought how the US is viewed through their eyes has an effect on its place in the international community, which in turn effects its ability to deal with international policies. I dont see unilateralism as realistic anymore, globalisation has made the world a smaller place whether you like it or not. Interacting with the International community in a co-operative way seems inevitable.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 10:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It definately does have impact. If we are supposed to be leaders, we should care how we are perceived.

Also, when we need help, will our allies stand with us if they see we are doing illigal or immoral things sanctioned by our government? When we are reprimanding other governments for that type of behavior?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• don't expect too many answers here. they are about to explode on the terrorists hack US drones post.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Not being American I can say that other countries don't really view the U.S. as the leader of the free world. That's a self appointed title that only gets rolled eyes from the rest of the world. The leader of the "free" world that doen't have maternity leave, affordable healthcare, allow gay people to marry, and imprisons people for indefinite periods of time without charge or proof of wrongdoing? Nah, you're not fooling anyone but yourselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Think of it this way:
    A company has several employees. There are 2 managers - one that plays by the rules, listens to those under them, and is respectful of different viewpoints on how things are done. The other mgr is egotistical and self-serving, uses their employees to get what they want, and is unsympathetic to different viewpoints.
    Even though the employees technically are required to abide by both mgrs' wishes, who do you think they will ultimately respect the most? Who do you think they will show more loyalty to? Who do you think will ultimately be offered a promotion?
    There is definitely somethinng to be said for acting respectfully towards those you may not see as immediately impacting on your situation. There will come a time when your past will haunt you, when you've acted less than honorably. And this goes for world situations just as it does for corporate ones.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• But that is not to imply that the US is equivalent to a "manager" of the world. It is an example that made sense. I know that the US is not at all the "superpower" it would like to be, but since we think of ourselves that way, we might as well try to act like a respectable version of one.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• First of all, you can't lump all policies together. War, environment, trade and such are vastly different topics.

I will just answer in a general way. Countries have always had to have an ear to the ground so to speak regarding their relationship with other countries. Surely you cannot expect a single country to be held in high regard by all other countries. There is a saying, "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." Each country should do what is best for them as a country and not based on what the "world" might think.

The US by its Constitution is limited regarding world policies. Regarding war, should the US not protect its people simply because another country may not like it? Of course not. To think they should is pure folly.

The media plays a large and not so truthful role and this further complicates things.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• To think another country should not protect itself simply because American might not like it is pure folly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• why does iran or north korea have to please the united states surely you cannot expect them to hold US in such high esteem to trust them.
    Anonymous