Is the recession over?

New jobless benefit claims rise unexpectedly

WASHINGTON – The number of newly laid off workers filing claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly rose last week as the recovery of the nation's battered labor market proceeds in fits and starts.

The Labor Department said Thursday that the number of new jobless claims rose to 480,000 last week, up 7,000 from the previous week. That was a worse performance than the decline to 465,000 that economists had expected.

Guess not for these newly laid-off people. And seasonal holiday workers will be out of work soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091217/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_economy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The way it was explained to me was that noone will hire new workers because of 1) they don't know what health care premiums are going to be, 2) they don't know what the cap & tax/trade/whatever will do, 3) they don't know what the whole tax structure will be, and 4) I confess that I forget what the 4th thing is. But the 3 alone are enough to keep employers from hiring on a couple of people, because they just do not have any idea what Obama and his friends are going to do!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• No it is not. I think.

Answer by louise2 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Nope.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• this shit aint ever gonna be over
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Many say it's over...but that it's not reflective yet in the hiring. But it should start soon. I heard this morning a couple of companies are restarting the salary increases which they had halted during the recession.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Is the recession over?

Depends on which of Obama's admin/advisers you ask.. Watching them on Sunday Morning is like watching a ping pong match.. One says one thing.. One says another... Didn't they talk to EACH other before they hit the Sunday circuit? lol

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• It's not over.... Bush left us with an INCREDIBLE mess to clean up. But, I think we're heading in the right direction. People need to remember that to recover from the hole we're in is going to take time, things are NOT going to get better overnight.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 11:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• it's easy to lose a million bucks..... but hard to make it.

I agree that it will take time to recover
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Didn't take long before someone brought up Bush. The obessession with that man is amusing.
    Anonymous

It is not over until we get rid of Obama and the democrats. Everyone seems to forget that the democrats were in control of the house and the senate the last 2 years of the Bush presidency. The democrats don't realize they caused their own problems.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009