When did the media become so heartless?

There were two students hit by an Amtrack train and one died. Apparently the train has a video camera facing forward so it recorded the whole thing. Said Amtrack plans to hand it over to police and the news station said they would try to get a copy of it also. Why so they can show on TV horrifying images?

They did it a few years ago a 5 yo was hit by a woman after getting off the bus and she ran the bus stop signing because of her cell phone. They put a picture of his belongings from the street. My family member was raped and they show a picture of her house. The day it happened and I called to ask them to take it down they asked to interview her. Seriously the media seems to just lost touch with reality.
Does the public really want to see horrific pictures/know exact addresses where victims live?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sadly, people want to know. I don't know of a time when the media WASN'T cutthroat. People in general like gore - why do you think people slow down at traffic accidents?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• The sad answer to your question is yes people want to see this kind of junk...at least some people. Personally, I think it is a huge violation of privacy. It is very sad to think of a child seeing a video of their parent being killed or a parent seeing the death of a child.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I don't want to see any of those on TV,or on You Tube. The Media doesn't care...they just want "a story". They interview people who have lost loved ones and expect them to talk about it on camera. It is sick@!!!!
    I turn to another channel if they are about to show films of disasters such as the ones you mention. I rarely watch News anymore. It is either bloody and gory disaster stories or some kind of political bashing. Ughhh.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Oh I don't know Ginger...I refuse to look at an accident scene. It turns my stomach. My family feels the same way.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I completely agree, Linda... but surely you've gotten stuck behind those who insist on slowing down to look?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yes, I have been stuck behind the ghouls and it makes me angry.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• when they found out that americans actually love reality shows. what is more realistic than that? i think it's quite sad of us to want to know every single detail and i feel so sad for families that have to endure for the sake of satisfying the public. what i think is worse than this is when people die... and the media fills the story with negatives... good grief there are family members devastated by this and all they could think about is trash talk and airing people's business.. unfortunately we the american public as a whole love it... even if many individuals hate it.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• This is not new as in being heartless.

And it starts in Journalism school. It's about the story, the headlines, the ratings; not peoples feelings.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• This is why I very,very,very rarely watch the "news".
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 12:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Sensationalism-which leads to viewers, ratings and Increased profits. IT's ALL about trhe buck-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009