6 months and refuses bottles

My daughter is 6 months old and I am going back to school in Jan. She suddenly refuses breast milk from bottles. I admit she has very rarely had bmilk from bottles. I have tried several different bottles and even left for a few hours (never going far) to see if she will take them and she still refuses, she just cries until she gets me. I wont be in school for long during the day. Does anyone have any helpful tips?

lishanlily

Asked by lishanlily at 11:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well the good news is she is ready for baby food, and could you BF before you go and come right back>IDK you said you tried all the bottles, so this is the only thing I could come up with, good luck and happy schooling!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• you can try a sippy cup, or she may just decide to wait for you to get home.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I second amileegirl. See if she'll take it from a sippy cup. In theory, if she gets hungry enough while you're gone, she'll take it how it's offered. But it's ok if she waits for you, too. I work full time and started leaving my baby at home with a sitter when she was 6 months, with some pumped milk if she needed it, and she chooses to wait for me to get home in the afternoon. She's 8 months old now, and thriving very well; and she's just started solids, so she's been going from 9:00 to 3:00 without eating with no problems, she's happy as can be. No need to push it if she doesn't want it. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• At 6 mos, I'd definitely try a sippy cup.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If you will only be gone for a few hours she should be fine nursing before you leave and when you get home. Have her caregiver give her some cereal mixed with breastmilk, or other solid food, if she gets hungry while you are gone.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If she won't take the sippy cup, drink from a cup or drink from a straw, she could eat solids while you are gone. She can eat real foods like banana, sweet potato, or avocado. No need for cereal or jar foods.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website and has info about starting solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• thank you all so much! ill work with her on a sippy cup and see how it goes. and thank you for the website as well!!
    lishanlily

Answer by lishanlily at 2:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2009