when did you allow your kid to stay at home alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Around age 10 for a brief time. Not until 12 for more than half an hour. In my state kids had had to be over 12 to stay home alone. A 5 year old could walk over a mile to school alone but you had to be 12 to stay home alone.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• 10 for short periods - run to the bank, etc. 13 for longer. At 13 he watched my younger 2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well according to our rules here on the base, they are allowed to be home 30 minutes or less when they are 10. 11+ can be home alone for a few hours. 13+ can be home alone longer and can babysit for any age kids. 12+ can babysit for kids older than 5. My oldest son is 12, and my youngest son is 11. They have been home alone for up to 2 hours but ONLY with phone access to me at all times, and with a friend who lives just around the corner aware that they are home alone. I always make sure they have a responsible adult on base who they can call if they need ANYTHING if I am going off base. Sometimes I have errands to run or appointments that I can't miss, and they will come home for up to 30 minutes after school. DD is 5, she has not been left home with them yet. When DS turns 13 or when he takes the red cross babysitting class he will be allowed to babysit her for a few hours. He is very responsible for his age though.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• We started at 10, for no more than a few minutes. Then at 11 we let him stay home a couple hours at the most. He's 13 now and has proven to be very responsible so the time alone isn't an issue. If he's watching his younger brother (6) it's no more than a couple hours. We have 3 very large indoor dogs so that makes us feel even better when he's home alone...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My son is 9 and I let him stay home for a little while, not more than an hour or so and always during the day. The UPS guy came one day and ended up having to leave the pkg on the doorstep because my son wouldn't answer the door for him - gave me a little more peace of mind that my son was smart enough not to open the door even for a man in "uniform"

Answer by missanc at 12:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• i was in 6th grade.. but only was alone from 330-500 pm.. never left over nigth till high school.. but most the time my big brother was home on the over nights...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• At 13 years old (teenager). They do very well on their own at this age I think. Be sure they know about 911, emergency phone numbers, etc. If you have neighbor that is willing to help out that is good also. Just knowing that your child can go to a neightbor your trust in very calming for you both.
    Anonymous

• For my oldest it was about 12. But my younger ones aren't as mature so it will be a while for them. I don't have a set age, I look at the maturity level.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I'd leave my older two (9 and 8) for awhile now but it isn't "allowed" because the government took away most parenting rights.
    We live with my dad and he is always home but is usually locked up in his room and I don't think twice about leaving the 4 kids to run to the store (usually takes me 30 minutes to walk there, buy my stuff and walk back). Their instructions are to stay inside, don't answer the door and leave Papa alone. Haven't had a problem yet.
    I was 8 and staying home for hours while watching my 6yo brother while my mom went grocery shopping. We never got into any trouble. We just watched TV until my mom got back.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2009