Are labs easy to potty train?

We are getting a chocolate lab next Wednesday. I wanted to know if a lab is easier to train vs. a pug? Our pug was extremely bull headed about potty training! Any tips would be awesome! Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pets

• It honestly depends on the dog, but we have two and they were both VERY easy to train. You just really need to keep in mind they are VERY hyper dogs. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My dog is a lab chow, and he was very easy to train, in fact, he trained himself. I will say that he's the only dog I've ever had, and I don't know if it's the lab or chow in him, or just his own personality.

Congratulations on your new addition!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I took our blacklab/beagle outside every hour on the hour. After a few days, if I didn't notice the time, he came to get me. Labs are smart.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Thanks all of you!! I am pretty sure the Lab will be far smarter then the pug!!
    Anonymous

• It does depend on the dog, but generally, labs are pretty easy. Keep in mind they'll have accidents even when trained for a good 6 months or so.

Labs also are not typically what I would call a hyper dog. We have a semi- hyper lab now, but no other lab I've ever had has been. They are very playful, but playful and hyper are two different things. Just make sure he/she gets to play a lot and take them to the water as often as possible. They are water dogs after all and love it!

They are also extremely "mouthy" dogs so always have something to chew on or they will chew on furniture etc. pig hooves and rawhide rolls are great. Ours have also always loved those big ol cow knuckes or whatever they're called! Good luck!

You won't regret getting a lab! Best dogs ever!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I have a friend who "tub trained" her German shephard. I have never heard of a potty trained dog...
    Anonymous

• anon are you serious?

Anonymous

• Ummmm.....no tub training going on here. My dogs use the bathroom OUTSIDE. I like it that way. : ) Can't imagine coming home to a steaming stinking....you get the picture, in my bath tub.....ICK!
    Anonymous

• Depends on the dog and the training method, I think little bitty dogs are harder to train because when weather gets cold in general they dont want to go out in the cold. Also if they are babyed a lot it makes it harder (my mom never got our family Chihuahua fully housebroken and she lived 12 years). However have you ever seen Marley and Me? or read the book? That is a lab of course and well, obviously took a lot of work. Take the dog out about every hour, especially after meals, playing and getting up from a nap or in the morning after sleeping all night ( if he's real little you may have to get up at night as well) I prefer to use a kennel, when you are gone or asleep put him in it with a nice comfy pillow, only enough room to stand up and turn around, he will learn to like it if he is not punished with it. Never use it as punishment! Pups love their kennels, they feel safe. This is what I've used to housebreak it works!
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 8:33 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• Just make sure if you use a kennel don't leave him in for long hours, except if he is sleeping at night, he still needs out every few hours. Housetraining can take a lot of work, but hey when hes trained he can have free roam of the house (though if he still chews you'll have to watch him lol) and a lot of dogs who were kennel trained the right way sleep in their kennels when they don't have to, its like a den. Just be sure its not any bigger than i said and not any smaller, too big and he'll still potty in it, too small and its just not nice and he won't like it. Also remember it takes awhile for pups to get full control of their bladder, we had a 6 week old pup and had to get up a couple times a night to take him out, (too young to be away from momma anyway) we had to do that for a few weeks if I remember right, I would say by 4 months he should be doing pretty good, adult teeth come in then too, good luck!
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 8:38 PM on Dec. 23, 2009