bottles for breastfeeding babies

ok. so my LO is being breastfed and i give her breastmilk in a bottle too but she will not take it unless it was in a playtex drop-ins bottle. if i tried to give it to her in a regular bottle she would keep sucking and sucking and sucking until there is no air in it and the bottle collapses in itself and i have to take her off of it to let air into the bottle. but i'm getting tired of buying the drop ins to these bottles, are there any regular bottles that will suffice and do the same thing as the drop ins?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 12:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard that Dr. Brown bottles are wonderful for breastfed babies
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I think that the problem might be with the standard nipple is either too slow of a flow or the top is on too tight.... (some have vents that won't work if it's on too tight)
    For my son we used Breastflow bottles and later changed to Avent bottles when he was older (like at 6 months or so)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• my son did the same thing when we bought him the cheaper bottles (he would just keep sucking until he had to let go to get some air back in the bottle, which was not ideal for bedtime.) We switched right back to Dr. Browns bottles.
    They really are amazing and my breastfed son took to them right away.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Giving a breastfed baby bottles isn't a good idea. The baby may decide to stop breastfeeding at any time. You may start having supply problems at any time. Pumping sucks and you may decide to wean prematurally.

Your baby isn't getting all of the benefits of breastfeeding. The baby isn't getting the oral, visual, and other physical benefits. During a feeding the milk changes in composition. If it's in a bottle it's all mixed. Breastmilk changes every minute to meet your baby's changing needs.

Don't buy the liners and just breastfeed. If you aren't going to do that then you are luck your baby will take any bottle at all. Many breastfed babies refuse all bottles. Your baby can drink out of a little cup, even premature babies can do this. If your baby is 4 months or older the baby may take a sippy cup.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Gaill was right about the cup- but it isn't always practical... and it isn't always practical to nurse.

honestly, when i had surgery and my ds HAD to take a bottle, it took 4 trips to the store for my mom to find one he would take, sine we didn't use them at all. lol it wound up being a playtex vent aire (knock off AVENT- but less problems with leaking) even though it was still BM in the bottle, he refused the artificial nipple.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Thing is...the best bottle is the one YOUR BABY will take. And while some babies will take ANY bottle, some will be particular. Playing bottle roulette could end up costing you triple what you're paying now for the drop-ins...and not yield an alternative for you. I really wouldn't go messing with what's working for you right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2009