how can i get a breastfed baby to take a bottle?

When dd was a newborn she took the breastflpow bottle and nursed like a champ but I began to have supply issues after a surgery I had so we dropped the bottles. Now she's 4 months old and dh and I have been working with her for over a month and she will only take a bottle every once in a while. We would really love a night out but its not going to happen unless we can get her to take a bottle again. I've told dh that I can stop nursing all together and eventually she will get hungry enough to eat (I'd pump every two hours to keep supply) but I wonder how good that would be for her. Also its not something either of us are comfortable with. So how can I get her to take a bottle?

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Leave her with caregiver, nurse right beforehand and let them figure it out. She won't starve... but she may wait for you to get home to eat, which is O-K. Limit your night out to 3 hours or so and you should be fine. You may find that she doesn't miss the milk as much as she misses you, and taking a bottle won't fix that ;)

You can also try a sippy cup with the valve removed. Caregiver tips cup, baby takes a sip. She's plenty old enough.

Go, have your night out. Don't wean for this, it's really not a problem. Both my boys have refused bottles after a period of time and we've done fine.

Remember, she's only little this once... she'll grow up fast and be begging to go to grandmas and pushing you out the door. Enjoy a few hours away and know that it will get easier with time.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You can use an eyedropper, spoon or cup. Most important though, for a bottle, you should not be around. She will likely take it from someone else if you are not in the room.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Someone else needs to give her the bottle when you are not around.

Don't refuse to feed her, though; she is too young to understand what you are doing.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• A 4 month old can drink out of a cup. I used to watch my 4 mo grandson while my son and dil went out all the time. The would just go out for 3-4 hours. If the baby started to get too hungry I would call them. Usually he was ok.

Going out is not a good reason to wean. All babies should be breastfed at least a year. If going out is that important to you then your baby could start solids and eat food while you are gone. Usually it's recommended babies breastfeed only until 6 months but starting solids at 4 months would be better than weaning. At 4 months you can still start with regular food - banana, sweet potato, or avocado. No need for baby cereal or jar food.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You need to be GONE. Hand baby and bottle to caregiver and take off. Baby WILL eat when hungry.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• We did do it when I was GONE. She screamed and cried til I came back and nursed her. She will take a bottle from me more than dh lol!
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2009