question about the BRAT diet

My dd started vomiting and had diareah on Sunday, i started her on the BRAT diet, she had nothing on monday, then nothing but diareah on tuesday (all still on the BRAT diet and no she's not dehydrated). Yesterday she was fine, so last night i gave her a normal dinner instead of the BRAT diet, this morning she had spit up a little bit when she woke, but i could hear her trying not to puke, she was swallowing it instead. ( i tried coaxing her to let it out but she wouldn't) so i gave her bananas for breakfast, i'm just wondering if the BRAT diet works for vomiting or is it for only diareah? if not for vomiting, what can i give her to settle her stomach, i'm trying to figure lunch out. the bananas stayed down, but i don't want to give her that for lunch as well...any advice?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The BRAT diet is out. They no longer recommend it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• so i've heard, but when i called the advice nurse the other day she said to keep it up
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Found a reference

"The diet is no longer recommended for most patients. The American Academy of Pediatrics states that most children should continue a normal, age appropriate diet. The foods from the BRAT diet may be added, but should not replace normal, tolerated foods. Sugary drinks and carbonated beverages should be avoided."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• like i said, so i've heard, but it seemed to work for her. can you answer my other question then? is there anything i can give her that won't mess her stomach up?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Try dry toast or with a little jelly, jello, applesauce. Good luck, I hope little one feels better!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• for vomiting i suggest pedialite, my doctor said sometimes kids tummies are sensitive and can only take pedialite
    guam_mama

Answer by guam_mama at 1:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I am a nurse. AND I have never heard the doctor which I work for say that the "BRAT Diet" is not being used. I am also going to say that the Internet is not a substitute for seeking out real medical advice from a licenced professional. Go see your child's doctor. You said your child may have swallowed her vomit, That is also known as aspiration She may well have gotten some into her lungs. If left it could turn into pneumonia. PLEASE go see your pediatrician. *Also the "BRAT Diet" Is for use with any viral or bacterial malady which results in either vomiting or diarrhea*

MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• The BRAT diet is basically foods that will not be offensive to the child's stomach. They are all mild foods. It doesn't mean they will CURE vomiting or diarrhea.

You don't say how old your child is.

Please follow MAKEMYDAY101's advice.
    Anonymous

• didn't say it did cure it, i was asking what was good for her stomach. i gave her pasta, so far she's been fine. thanks ladies
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• we do the BRAT diet. I use it more than my son does and it works for vomiting with me. My son's never thrown up so I couldn't tell you if it makes a difference with him.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 4:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2009