How old was your child when they were potty trainned.

How old was he/she when you started potty trainning and how old were they when they were using the potty on a normal bases? Would trying to potty train a 12 month old be pushing it too far?

Super09Mom

Asked by Super09Mom at 12:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started at three years old. it was just easier for me. But he was compleatly trained around six months later. :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• That is too early. They really need to be able to tell you when they have to go. Otherwise you set them up for failure. My first was 3 yrs and 4 months when she was potty trained. Right know I'm working with my almost 3 yr old. She can tell me when she has to go.
    Anonymous

• I know of a few mother with potty trainned 14 month olds. Thats the only reason why I started considering it. And just about all of my mother friends had theirs trainned by 2yrs. I always thought when they could know the difference in a wet diaper was when it was time.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 1:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• 24 mts. she was ready by 18 but i wasnt lol.so i took my time. by 28 mts she was fully potty train. now diaper or pull ups at nite time.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Mine was in diapers until she was four. She was too busy doing other things (like figuring out how to tie her shoes and reading) to be bothered.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My daughter was potty trained by 16months. My son is 12 months and I won't be starting with him anytime soon cause I find it to early cause he doesn't talk or walk.
    Anonymous

• yea, I kinda think age isnt so much the factor, its development. My Son was walking at 8 months, started his first words at 5 months, etc. he's a smart child. I think I will buy a potty within the next few months and see how I feel about getting him to use it. No harm in getting one and see how he reacts with my attempts. If its a fail then I can always wait.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 1:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I did a slow process of introducting the potty around one but didn't really start potty training until closer to 2. She was fully trained at about 3 weeks after her second birthday. She had tubes put in before two so I didn't want to start pushing it then have that set back. So we start serious training after that. I just started by intorducing her to the potty, having her sit on it fully clothed while I went. Then over time I would put her on naked after a bath so she's get used to that feeling too. Once she was able to tell me she needed a diaper, I knew she was ready to train.
    Anonymous

• My son has been potty trained (during the day) since he was about 24 months old, we started when he was 18 months old. I dont expect him to go overnight yet so he wears a diaper at night still, he is 29 months now.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:45 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My dd learned the potty at around 18 months. It took about one week for her to really get it, and about another month to stem off accidents. Now she is 28 months old & wakes up at night to go potty. She hasn't used a diaper in months & months. She was ready for sure. She watched all her little freinds going during playgroups & that really helped her. But she was hating diapers. I figured if she hated the diapers that much it was time to give it a shot. We let her run around with no pants or underpants in the begining to help us "catch" accidents in the little potty. It worked like a charm! 12 months is probably a little young, but it won't be long at all I bet before your little one is there!
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 3:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2009