Taking things and lying about it

My 3 year old has started taking Candy Canes, hard candy, and cough drops after I have said no you may not have one right now. Then he is lying about it when I ask him. Even though his faces is smeared with candy cane.......why has this started? And how do I make it stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't yell or spank or anything. Say "I KNOW you took candy" And put him in time out. He will think "whoa, how does mom know everything" He needs to learn by experience that he cannot lie to you. Every child tries to get away with it at some point or another. You can try to get him to tell the truth, but it can be difficult for a child (and an adult) to admit they lied, and it may turn it into a battle between you that can escalate into everyone being upset. It's humiliating to admit that you lied. So, just let him know that you understand the fact that he is lying, & discipline him how ever you do.

" I know you are not telling the truth, so you are going to have to be disciplined"

Maybe if he chooses to tell the truth in order to not get spanked, or put in time out...then reward him for telling the truth. He needs to learn that telling the truth is always best.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Hide the candy for one lol. My son is three and lies to me even though the evidence is RIGHT there. Woo... can it be aggravating or what?? I make my child answer me and in till they tell the truth they go into time out. I cant stand lying. I know right now many people will say that it is just fibbing and if you discipline them for there imaginative side..(fibbing) it could hurt them.But lying is lying to me. If my son was not doing anything bad and they "eat" their imaginary ice cream lol..that's fine.But, I would let him know that you know he is lying and it is very unacceptable. :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• A three year old does not have a firm grasp of the concepts of lies and truths.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Put the candy out of reach.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• OP here----I think he 3 year old does have a grasp since he hide on the side of the couch when I walked into the room and on my fourth time of say did you take a Candy Cane and eat it he covered his face and said I dont want to say it. I explained that lying is a sin and it makes mommy and daddy and Jesus very sad when he does it.

His punishment is no special program this evening.

Sometimes I wish there was a instruction book with kids
    Anonymous

• tell him the boy who cried wolf story... that no one will believe him if he always lies, yes they know they are lying. punish him immediately when he lies harshly. my son started that too. i gave him a time out immediately and a long one. he stopped in about 2 weeks of immediate punishment. my mil watches my son once a week and he continues to lie to her because she doesnt call him out on it and punish him (for anything) so all kids try. it is about how much you allow ...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Keep the offensive items out of reach of the reach.
    Tell him you KNOW he took them.
    Give a time out for the lying.
    Tell him the story of The Little Boy That Cried Wolf; worked wonders for my kid's lying.
    Anonymous

• he isnt lying kids cant lie hes telling you what he knows you want him to say hes tryiing to please you its the way kids are so you need to explain to him that telling you the truth and what really happened is what will make you happy and lying or making somethign up will make you sad then jsut keep reminding him of that and ofcourse keep up with your usual displine too
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 5:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009