If your 4 year old was acting badly in daycare and home, would you still give him presents?

I'm debating on taking away the toys already wrapped back to the store as well as no santa gifts. Is that too harsh? This week he has kicked a teacher and hit two others on separate occasions. We don't spank we do time out.
However, he's been pretty bad at home and school. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Seems like too much of a delayed punishment. He may not be able to make the connection.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 2:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2009

• at 4, yes, too harsh. It is still Christmas. IMO anyway.
    Anonymous

• I would call my pediatrican to get him seen. Has anything changed at home or school to cause the outbreak in bad behavior? I don't think I would take back the Christmas gifts..sounds harsh but remind him that if he is bad he might not get anything..see if that helps.
    Anonymous

• at 4 i think it is a little much I would think there is something esle you can take away. games, tv, movies, a fav toy, playdate something like that, even snacks if that works.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Now I would go to the point of giving the presents but then taking them away till the attitude improves!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Sounds like you should spank him. Sometimes and it sounds like its this time that time out just doesn't work. He needs to know that he has done something wrong. I don't spank my child unless my other froms of punishment have not worked, and normally they do. Just a thought.
    Anonymous

• I would not take the toys away from them. that is harsh to me. But, I think harsher disciplinary action may be required for your kids to start acting better. If you take away Christmas that could cause a bit of resentment and a feeling of they are not good enough to have a Christmas. I understand you dont spank, bit there is other discipline out there to straighten the kids behavior. :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Way too harsh. don't take away christmas.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well, have you taught him that santa brings coal to the bad children? Does he believe in Santa? If so, leave him coal. Maybe that's the wakeup he needs to seeing that he's behaving badly. Santa left him coal, obviously he made the naughty list and he needs to fix it. 4 year olds are smarter than people give them credit for.

BTW, gaiiil is full of it. I have raised 4 children to adulthood, good men with good lives, and we did groundings, time outs, spanking, writing sentences etc.. Gaiiiil is raising grandchildren, I am not. So, she really has no room to talk. She obviously skipped teaching her kids to be repsonible and accountable for their actions whil she was being gentle raising them.
    Anonymous

• WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? Seriously. LEARN TO PARENT. Yes, it is too harsh. OBVIOUSLY your child needs to be home with you and not in a daycare somewhere. Obviously you need to take some classes.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009