Potty trainning a boy.

Do you think its best to start them out peeing while sitting? Or just go with standing from the beginning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't have a boy, but I would think it would be easier to have them sit so they don't make a mess.. most boys don't have much control over their "third leg" at that age..
    Anonymous

• I found it easier to let then sit on the potty. Bc when they are sitting, they can go either poo poo or pee pee without getting confused. Once my son started going both on the regular I made a huge deal about learning the BIG BOY way of going pee pee standing up and he got it the second time. :)
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My son sat first, but he made a huge mess every time. We could never stuff his weenie down before he peed. It would go everywhere! We had to teach him to stand right away. It was easy and he likes it so much he never sits to pee now. Even when he poops he stands and pees then turns around and sits and poops! Forget about a potty seat with a boy sitting to pee. How is he supposed to fit it down there? Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I started with sitting. Eventually he wanted to do the standing thing on his own about a month or two after he was trained
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 1:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Honestly I waited until spring and summer and let him run arround with a shirt on but no pants.. He would go sit on the potty every 15 mins for roughly 2-3 mins.. and "Try" The first 2-3 days of him actually tinkling.. i would yell, jump up and down say how proud I was of him and give hugs and some m&m's But then after that he was expected to go pee. I would still take him to go try.. but if he pee'd in his undies.. (I never used anything but either diapers and then undies.) Then he got a swat on the fanny and told... YOU HAVE TO USE THE POTTY.
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I'm planning on teaching him to sit down first. I know nothing of peeing standing up so I'll wait on that until he's old enough to understand the concept. The boy hasn't let me go to the bathroom by myself since he started walking so I won't be very convincing if I tell him he's supposed to stand up. Good luck. We're buying the potty tomorrow. He's thrilled, I've got my mop ready. We'll also be switching to just underwear. I never thought that'd be a good motivator but it totally is.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 4:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009