• In the Spotlight:

Mitochondrial Eve: Mitocondrial MRCA of all humans

I have never heard of this before until my hubs mentioned it 3 weeks ago. I decided today to look it up. Not sure if this is what he was talking about. Im not good with the BIG words....lol

Have you ever heard of it? Is it saying that DNA links us to one maternal ancestrial mother....Eve?

Scroll down to 4.2 Mitochondrial MRCA and MRCA to all humans

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 1:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I find that thrilling and not at all surprising. Science over and over supports the Bible, intentionally or not. Yay!
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 2:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• 3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Well. DUH.....
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Thus proving the "buy-bull" wrong! For there it is written that Adam came first.

Yeah Science!!
    Anonymous

• emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 2:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Thats what I was thinking too Cosy!

I am addressing that the bible is scientificly accurate and I found an interesting topic to go with that. There is so much evidence in my daily life that God exists that it's poking me right in the eye!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Very Interesting study on genetics, but nothing shows me this supports the literal words of Genesis. Scientists do not believe she was the only female in her time, and the paternal line to the first 'Adam' is thousands of years before this Eve.Add to this her living an estimated 82-227k years ago, not the 6-8k year estimate of creationists.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• First of all...Wikipedia has never been considered a reliable resource. Lots of incorrect information gets put on that site. I'm not saying that article is wrong, I'm just saying you have to take it with a grain of salt. You would be better off reading the article from National Geographic. I don't see anything in either article claiming this is the 'religious' Eve of the Bible. That is a huge assumption that is totally unsupported by the articles.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I see what you are saying Marwill. But maybe its not so much of a "jump." The DNA and the bible, Genises, share a common idea.........first parents. I still like Wikipedia. lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Here's how it works... Our MDNA is passed from mother to child. So, if you have 3 kids they all have your MDNA... NOW, the THEORY is that IF we all came from ONE woman that we would all have a gene that was common because it would all go back to her... Here is the issue with that THEORY... First off, we all HAVE to have some DNA in common or we wouldn't all be human. Second, If you have 3 girls, and they all have 3 kids, your MDA and their children's MDA will NOT be identical because it will there are variations from person to person. This means that it is IMPOSSIBLE to trace all of our DNA back to any one source because the probability that any one person has similar MDNA to another outside their family is so low - even through generations... Even if you believe that we all came from just ONE woman, once you understand the MILLIONS of DNA strands and how they vary, you would see that it's impossible to trace them to her.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2009