Those who do not believe in God. Do you still celebrate?

Just curious about other religions and those who don't believe in God. I have just always wondered if you celebrate christmas whether it be for the sake of your children or just any reason.Don't want to offend anyone. Just curious if you do celebrate and why?

lovinmy3babs

Asked by lovinmy3babs at 1:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• yes I do, it is about celebrating my many things to be thankful for and spending time with my family
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I do not believe in God. My husband does, so until my son is old enough to chose his religion we will celebrate. Im not pushing my lack of religion on my son My kid is 2 so he just enjoys the presents and family.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Christmas was first a Pagan holiday. It was taken over by the Catholic Church as the day of Christ’s birth which isn’t even right. So why it was taken can only be to make everyone a believer and drive out the unbelievers. I have always celebrated it, but not as Jesus’ birth because its not. Just a time when you put a tree into the house (like the pagan ~ except they had one outside I think) and we exchange gifts. I don’t see why everyone is so hell bent on calling Christmas a Christian holiday but it’s not one for me. I take it as a day to spend with family and nothing else.
    Anonymous

• We have a secular Xmas. My family is a mix of religions, and we have our family traditions. My kids enjoy it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• religion free give/get crap/hand out with family/eat junk day... yep. thats our x-mas...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• 'Christmas was first a Pagan holiday. It was taken over by the Catholic Church as the day of Christ’s birth which isn’t even right. So why it was taken can only be to make everyone a believer and drive out the unbelievers. I have always celebrated it, but not as Jesus’ birth because its not. Just a time when you put a tree into the house (like the pagan ~ except they had one outside I think) and we exchange gifts. I don’t see why everyone is so hell bent on calling Christmas a Christian holiday but it’s not one for me. I take it as a day to spend with family and nothing else.'

No-winter Solstice was a pagen holiday and the Catholic church decided to make the 'official' birth of Christ day Dec. 25 so the Christians would have something to celebrate. so technically Christmas is still a Christian holiday which became commercialized.
    Anonymous

• "No-winter Solstice was a pagen holiday and the Catholic church decided to make the 'official' birth of Christ day Dec. 25 so the Christians would have something to celebrate. so technically Christmas is still a Christian holiday which became commercialized."

Actually it was a way for the Catholic church to hijack Yule/Solstice and control the pagans. Not much of the celebration is about this Jesus dude!!

Anonymous

• We celebrate Christmas, but without any of the religious stuff mixed in. It's my favorite! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 5:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yes we do. But our celebration keeps it's Pagan origins of Yule. We don't do any religious stuff. As to why my hubby and I just always have celebrated so we do it mostly for the kids, but also because it's "tradition" on both sides of family.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• We're pretty much agnostic but we do Christmas. I love all things Christmas. The decorations - including the nativity scene, the songs - even the religious ones, eggnog and eggnog ice cream, being with family, giving and getting presents, Santa and the reindeer, the Christmas movies, the food, etc. Love it all.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2009