What happens when you get a abnormal glucose test???

Im just kind of worry about this glucose test, my test results are abnormal! Now I need to repeat the test starting with a 3 day diet before I get tested again! This makes me nervous, I never had this abnormality with my previous pregnancies.... this is my 4th baby! Has anyone gone trought this... ? I just hope for the best and hope to get better results with the repeat one... Any advice?

nica_bella

Asked by nica_bella at 1:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had gestational diabetes with 3 out of my previous 4 pregnancies and I'm anticipating having it now with my 5th. There's a specific diet you follow which really isn't that bad. You end up eating all the time! I had to eat 3 meals and 4 snacks/day and still had trouble gaining weight, but it made it really easy to get back into prepregnancy shape. Most likely they will give you a monitor and you'll have to prick your finger to test your sugars in the mornings and a couple hours after you eat. In most cases it can be controlled with diet. In some cases you end up having to resort to insulin (I never did). Exercise is also really good for sugar levels!

Answer by missanc at 2:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Yup. I had that with my first. I had to eat very specific things for three days before and go in for a second test. Turned out I had gestational diabetes. Don't worry about it so much. Even if you have it, if you follow their plan everything will turn out fine. I had it with my first but not my next two. IT's totally manageable and doable.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 2:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• This happened when I was pregnant with my third child. I'd never had an abnormal result before, and I completely freaked out. I had to do the three-hour blood glucose test, which actually takes about five hours. (Or maybe I just have a really pokey OBGYN.) It turned out to be a fluke result, and my three-hour was normal. Don't panic until you have to, tests go weird all the time. If your blood sugar really is out of whack due to gestational diabetes, you and your doctor can manage it just fine with diet and more frequent visits.

Mommies worry. That's what we do.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 2:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2009