Am I the only black person who thinks kwanzaa is a big joke?

Most people do not even know the origins of the holiday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• I am pretty white...but I love hearing about other parts of peoples culture and traditions, so do you know what Kwanzaa is all about? I don't, I should google it. I am sure it has to have some meaning and value for the people who celebrate it! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• problems I have with kwanzaa
    *it was first invented as a joke
    * the man who created it made it as an alternative to christmas because he siad 'it was the christians who enslaved us*
    * AFTER getting national attention THEn and only then did he decide to change his name to an african name and run around in traditional african clothes
    * he was convicted for kidnap and torturing two women! what a rolemodel for black children
    Anonymous

• Thats a little rude..AND im white too.. ha! husbands black though..but im sure it has a very well meaning for people who celebrate it... dont you think you would be little upset if someone judge something about your practice of religion??? kinda rude, and why did u have to say black?? you couldve just said "only woman up here" HA! made me laugh of ignorance
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 2:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• My husband's best friend is black & he thinks its silly. His family celebrates Christmas.
    Anonymous

• I think it is a joke too. I think it came along with the whole "ending segregation unless we pull it ourselves" crap. How is this anything but segregation?
    Anonymous

• OMG! *vomits* way too much PC for me to even think clearly enough to post... wow... armywifelovely- there is NOTHING wrong with acknowledging race when it is relevant to the question... *shakes head & sighs*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Probably not, I know some blacks that dont even know of it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Armywife, this was not rude. No white people celebrate the hoiiday. Some people may not know of the holiday. STOP being one of those that we hate on here. STOP looking for a reason to pull the race card
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Sorry, I'm white, but I've never known any of my friends to celebrate Kwanzaa, most of them celebrate Christmas. Not to be politically incorrect, but I don't know how else to say...I had many black friends growing up, and still do, and none of their families celebrated Kwanzaa. don't even know what it's all about (but would be interested to learn, I love learning about other people's traditions and holidays!)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I AM White and i celebrate it because i have 3 mixed kids and I celebrate so they can learn about their heritage. I obviously celebrate Christmas.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 3:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2009