Is it okay to NOT give a preschool teacher a christmas gift?

I'm on a limited budget and thought I would just mail a card to the teacher's house instead.

It's a rural area so things are laid back enough around here where I don't think she would mind another card in the mail. Her adress is in the book afterall.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Holidays

• Its ok. Do not kill your self for things you can not afford. YES it is nice to show your appreciation for what she does but remember this is her job! We typically do get teacher gifts but its a yr to yr basis. WHen my kids were in preschool we payed tuition and I beleive we just did a card because we really had no money for a gift.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2009

• Why not. Or buy a pack of Cordial Cherries for a $1 and give them to her. It's the thought that counts!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I don't think she would mine. I'm sure she knows that peoples budgets are tight and isn't expecting anything other than cards.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Why not just hand her the card at school?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I think that would be fine. I worked at a preschool for two years before moving to where I am now. Some kids would bring in gifts for myself and the teacher, others just the teacher, and some not at all. It wasn't a big deal. We understand that not everyone thinks about it or is even in the finacial situation to give. Just giving a card is fine, even better than fine, w/preschool teachers it is more of a thought that count thing anyway, so have your preschooler color or sign it! It will be a loved gift!
    Hulkgrrl

Answer by Hulkgrrl at 2:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Sounds fine to me. Atleast you've shown that you're thinking of her during the holidays. If you're baking cookies with the kids and have some left you could always give her some in a small tin also, I found a bunch at Michael's for $1.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I think that's fine. Nothing obligates you to buy your child's teacher a gift. I would not be buying my sons one this year had I not gotten a bonus.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Why not have your child make the card for their teacher? I taught pre-school and those were the best gifts and believe it or not I still have them.... all....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• I disagree with the APs. I think you should do something. This woman is essentially raising your child during the day she deserves a little appreciation. A $1 box of cherry cordials is a great idea. Home baked cookies or a $1.99 lotion set from the dollar bins at Target are all a little token of your appreciation that won't break the bank. Merry Christmas!
    Anonymous