Has anyone ever....

Has anyone ever donated blankets? To homeless shelters or any needy cause? While going through christmas stuff in the attic I found my "bag" (a BIG laundry bag) filled with covers. I totally forgot I put it up there when we moved in like 3 years ago. We have lots, and I mean LOTS, of blankets already. Too many if you ask me, and I thought we should donate them. I mean we don't need that many and I want to teach my son to help others. I thought we could take them to the homeless shelter downtown and maybe pass them out to homeless people on the streets. I don't know. So, my question is, where do you donate covers and what's the best way about doing so? Do they have to be new or can they be used? They are all still in really good condition.

Mom2Dano

Asked by Mom2Dano at 2:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• dont take them to good will or salvation army,,, there was a local story about a woman who got in trouble for getting into their trash dumpsters because they throw out tons of good stuff... i would take it to the homeless shelter in my local city... i woudlnt want to approcah individual homeless people for fear of the crazy ones who might attack you or something... if you take your sons, at the shelter they will see families and good people who are out of luck... on the streets they might the idea that the homeless are all wine-os and are there out of their own choice and lack of motivation.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You could take it to salvation army or the red cross. If you go on Craigslist and look EVENTS in your area, sometimes churches and places will advertise a coat drive. You can always donate there.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• That's a great idea. Believe me they are not going to care if they are new or used! Much better than what they have I'm sure.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:18 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Have you thought of a battered womens shelter? There's oftentimes many women and children who leave home in the middle of the night or at times when they can't get their things and they have nothing. Check for one of those, or if not then yes I would go directly to the homeless shelter. I'm sure your generosity will be appreciated!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• These are all great ideas listed. Another place that I know can use blankets is animal shelters, so maybe if you have any that you believe beyond human use, that would be a good idea so that none are wasted.
    Anonymous

• WOW!! I love all of ya'lls answers. You have all been soo helpful! Thank you very much!
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 3:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2009