question for other pagans have any of you heard of the pagan bill of rights?

i have seen a couple of websites with something called the Pagan Bill of Rights( i think they were writen by a group called the Pagan Unity Campaign or PUC) and i wanted to know if they were definitely legal and everything. for example i sometimes have problems with some people bitching at me for wearing my pentacle but on these bill of rights it says i as a pagan am allowed to wear a sacred symbol of my faith were other people of differeant faiths can wear their symbols. am i allowed to tell these people that i have a bill of rights that says i can wear my pentacle?

flower_angel

Asked by flower_angel at 2:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• sorry i didnt have enough room to write out the pagan bill of rights the way i found them online...

1. Pagans shall have the same freedom to worship that is granted to followers of other religions.

2. Pagans shall have the same respect of all elected officials who represent them that is afforded to followers of other
    religions.

3. A Pagan parent's religion shall not be used as evidence for the purpose of deciding child custody issues.

4. Pagans shall be free to work without regard to their religion, and should be free from proselytizing and harassment at the workplace.

5. Pagans shall have the same freedom to conduct their lives that is given to followers of other religions, within the boundaries of the law, without interference by or discrimination from representatives of their local, state or federal government.

flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 2:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• 6.School district personnel and classroom visitors shall not
    proselytize or harass Pagan children while on public school property
    or at public school functions.

7. Pagans shall have the same freedom to exercise all of their rights
    as do all other American citizens.

8. Pagans are entitled to the free exercise of their beliefs and rituals
    and must be protected from the interference of others
    during the practice thereof.

9. Pagans shall have the right to redress when their religious rights
    are abused.

10. Pagans shall be able to wear sacred symbols of their faith in
    environments where followers of other faiths are free to express themselves similarly.

flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 2:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Freedom of religion is freedom of religion. You shouldn't need a special bill of rights. It simply is your groups way of making their group stand out.
    Anonymous

• ...if only we didn't NEED to "stand out".

...if only we were afforded the rights to begin with.

...if only...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Aren't these the same "rights" of every American citizen???
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

Only if you live North of Indianapolis.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You would think, but believe it or not religion plays a key roll as to how ppl treat other ppl...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• You would think that we ALL receive the same treatment but alas many, many times we are treated as lessor citizens because we do not follow the Christian faith. I don't go up to a Christian and say "why are you wearing that cross around your neck, Do you know what it means" I have been asked this a number of times concerning my pentagram. I still wear it out all the time. But I am in an area in Washington state where people don't worry about your religion.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• Do you know what it means" I have been asked this a number of times concerning my pentagram. I still wear it out all the time. But I am in an area in Washington state where people don't worry about your religion
    ------------------------------
    BUT, truly DON"T know what it means. And if I ask you, I really am curious? That doesnt need to make you defensive. if someone asks me what my cross means (except everyone already knows, but you get the idea) I am proud to tell them.
    BTW... I am in Washington too!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2009

• If a person approaches me out of curiosity and ask in the spirit of learning I do not get defensive. If a person uses a defensive sounding voice of course I will get defensive. I have always answered in kindness as long as the question is presented in kindness. Sadly many times I have had some say in a very loud voice ask what is that around my neck. To the people who come off as angry sounding I simply ask "what do you believe it means" and of course I get the "its the sign of the devil" or something along that line. At that point I let them know what it is and what it is not. It all depends on the attitude of the person asking the question

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2009